[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Straws are bad for your stomach.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2024, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 10, 2024, 11:31:46 AMThe Conservatives are on a war path against Tim Horton's new woke coffee lids.

This is serious debate.

It's not "the Conservatives" - it's one Conservative backbench MP.

And those non-plastic straws really do suck.

I get a Tim's coffee every morning because it's convenient, but honestly about 1 time in 10 the cup already starts just leaking in my hands after awhile.
That they suck or not is beyond the point.

That a Conservative backbench MP was even allowed by the Whip to ask questions on this and use the woke rethoric is stupid.

Don't our MPs have something better than do?  Can't PP find some better assignment for his MPs?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Straws don't suck, people suck.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 11, 2024, 01:13:25 AMStraws don't suck, people suck.

... and that's why they need straws.

crazy canuck

People suck just fine without straws

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Just crossed a sad little anti Trudeau rally downtown. 10 people and a megaphone. At least the yeller seemed enthused.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on May 11, 2024, 02:13:40 PMJust crossed a sad little anti Trudeau rally downtown. 10 people and a megaphone. At least the yeller seemed enthused.

:D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Protest in the real world when there is so much right wing social media to engage with?

I wonder if something similar will happen on election day?

Jacob

It's May, and wildfire season in Canada is already well under way.

It's going to be a hot and smoky summer :(

PRC

Quote from: Jacob on May 13, 2024, 12:29:25 PMIt's May, and wildfire season in Canada is already well under way.

It's going to be a hot and smoky summer :(

City of Calgary went through a rebranding process recently and a week ago announced their new tagline would be "the Blue Sky City" (previous was "Be Part of the Energy.").

Just in time for the past weekend when those blue skies were darkened with the thick acrid smoke from Northern BC & Northern Alberta forest fires. 

Oh, and Fort McMurray once again under evacuation alert.

Barrister

We received this absolutely massive deluge of rain last week.  I think I head 140mm of rain over 2 days.  Everyone was like "well thank God - that should help with fires".

But the smoke still spreads from northern Alberta and BC.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

JUst came across an article I wanted to comment on:

QuotePierre Poilievre hints he'd like to strip Canadians of some rights. There's something to think about when it's time to vote
At least one legal scholar in Canada believes voters should be asking some hard questions about the Constitution — specifically, whether a future prime minister would be willing to opt out of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Updated 50 mins ago
May 15, 2024
3 min read
Save
 (10)
Pierre Poilievre and delacourt.JPG
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has dropped some broad hints in the past couple of weeks that he could be ready to use the notwithstanding clause to override the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Susan Delacourt writes.

ETHAN CAIRNS THE CANADIAN PRESS
Susan-Delacourt
By Susan DelacourtNational Columnist
No one knows what the ballot-box question will be in the next election, whenever it does come.

But at least one legal scholar in Canada believes voters should be asking some hard questions about the Constitution — specifically, whether a future prime minister would be willing to opt out of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Pierre Poilievre has dropped some broad hints in the past couple of weeks that he could be ready to blaze a trail here as prime minister. No federal government has ever used the notwithstanding clause in the 40-plus years it has been part of the Constitution. But the Conservative leader told a police chiefs' gathering he might go down that road to get tougher on criminals.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

"All of my proposals are constitutional, and we will make sure we will make them constitutional. We're using whatever tools the Constitution allows me to use to make them constitutional," Poilievre said in his Apr. 29 speech.

"I think you know exactly what I mean."

Jeffrey Meyers, a B.C. lawyer and legal instructor, says even hinting about it should worry citizens. He stresses that his concerns have nothing to do with partisanship — he's not a fan of how the Liberals have been trying to politicize this debate in recent days, for instance.

But Meyers says that Poilievre's hints cannot be seen in isolation from what's happening in the United States or the increasing willingness of conservative provinces in Canada to talk about opting out of federal legislation they don't like.

He points also to Doug Ford's efforts to use the notwithstanding clause on political financing and the right to strike, as well as the Ontario premier's comments about wanting "like-minded" judges on the provincial bench.

"The bottom line is that it's getting normalized at the provincial level," Meyers said, and he fears it's only a matter of time before some prime minister, quite possibly Poilievre, will try to do the same at the federal level.

ADVERTISEMENT