News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Charlie Sheen is HIV positive

Started by jimmy olsen, November 16, 2015, 06:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

i never knew there was a debate about STD laws. why shouldn't we require people to disclose to partners the fact they have herpes/HIV/etc.? the gay community traumatized by HIV outbreaks, causing them to always question... that makes sense for the gay community. but not everyone outside the gay community goes into a sexual encounter with a stranger with such a strong mentality.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Finally his poor father can say something positive about his son.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2015, 08:06:08 PM
i never knew there was a debate about STD laws. why shouldn't we require people to disclose to partners the fact they have herpes/HIV/etc.?

Asked and answered.

Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2015, 08:06:08 PMthe gay community traumatized by HIV outbreaks, causing them to always question... that makes sense for the gay community. but not everyone outside the gay community goes into a sexual encounter with a stranger with such a strong mentality.

Maybe if heterosexuals were a bit more circumspect about raw dicking randos, STDs wouldn't be as prevalent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I think this has also to do with different vectors of HIV infection.

Generally, the risk of a man getting HIV from a woman through vaginal intercourse is very limited - so, not only the risk of the disease being passed on infinitely through a contact with multiple sexual partners is very limited, but also the risk is almost entirely that of the woman. So heterosexual men do not care that much about it and not necessarily because they only have sex with healthy women.

Compare this to anal sex between men, where the risk is not only shared by both partners (even though it is much greater for the passive partner), but furthermore the risk of the infection being passed on is much greater (also because many gay men who practice anal sex are into switching roles).

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2015, 08:06:08 PM
i never knew there was a debate about STD laws. why shouldn't we require people to disclose to partners the fact they have herpes/HIV/etc.? the gay community traumatized by HIV outbreaks, causing them to always question... that makes sense for the gay community. but not everyone outside the gay community goes into a sexual encounter with a stranger with such a strong mentality.

Most sexually active people in the Western world have herpes...

Incidentally, why limit yourself to STD - you can catch a lot of other diseases from your sexual partners that are not strictly speaking STDs, but that can be just as if not more dangerous - such as mononucleosis.

And while we are at it, why only limit the disclosure to sexual encounters. If I am sharing a room with a colleague at work and he has, say, tuberculosis or mononucleosis or toxoplasmosis - all of which can be airborne - why shouldn't he be required to disclose that to me?

Perhaps we should have everyone carry their medical record on display for everyone to see, much like medieval lepers were required to carry a bell.

garbon

Also herpes still strikes me as an outlier in that bunch, given its effects and that while it has been known of for quite some time, wasn't actually considered a big deal until a pharma company wanted some profits in the 20th century.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

In the U.S. only about 1:6 sexually active people have genital herpes. Not sure if > 50% do in the "Western world" but that's hilarious if true.

garbon

I think the figure was WHO saying 2/3 of the world has herpes. Also probably a mistake to try and focus in on genital herpes given that the herpes type 1 and type 2 can be both oral and genital though skewed towards one or the other.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."