News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flowers -Le volume sur printemps-

Started by Lettow77, August 18, 2016, 11:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Let me first say that this review is sponsored by Raz, but for whom I would not have been granted such expedited access to the game in question. His genteel behavior was a bolt from the blue which I found greatly moving. The attempts to spread the gospel of Yukkuri here on languish has had a rocky start at best, but encouragement from such an unexpected quarter has found me rejuvenated and eager to do what I can. I restate my praise; It was the height of charity and decency, and I hope the altruism and compassion reflected in such a gesture is echoed in his fortunes from here to come. Whatever cultural and national allegiances Missourians may claim, any concerns that the horrors of Elkhorn Tavern and Price's failed expeditions signaled the end for chivalry and courtesy in the state of Missouri have been proven unfounded.

Flowers is a Yuri visual novel newly released on steam. With a Catholic all-girls school as the setting, and a special system for pairing students together as part of the backdrop, it owes much to Maria-sama ga miteru. (In Flowers, it is the Amitié system; in Marimite it is the Sœur system. As long as it sounds suitably french.) As a visual novel rather than anime or manga, it can also be said to borrow from Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke, also a Catholic all-girls school Yuri visual novel,  but it is rather less lewd and closer to Marimite in tone. A romantic story can be expected without fear of an overly prurient tone debasing the experience.

Commendably, and unlike Sono Hanabira, the protagonist's partner is directed by the player's choices, and there is an excellent group of young maidens to choose from. The method for selection deftly managed to be both prompt and subtle, allowing the story to quickly cater to your preferences. It also is sufficiently vague in its selection that it is conceivable for the reader to be driven to a suitable partner without explicitly having her in mind.

If I was to make a criticism, it would be that the protagonist is, herself, a very compelling candidate to be the Best Girl, which I feel is a design flaw. Ideally the protagonist should leave a fairly inoffensive impression, the more so to let the cast of romantic leads sparkle and appeal to the audience, and for the player to more comfortably step into her shoes. If she herself is the object of the player's desire, it is disorienting, besides the fact that she is of course beyond romancing.

There was some controversy about the steam translation, and even after a total rewrite I saw a couple typos creep in. The translated narration comes across a bit strong, even for this sort of setting. (I can't speak for the Japanese, as a Japanese text version is not included with the steam copy) All dialogue is voiced, however, and the beautiful Japanese helps carry the work. Beautiful words like 気品, 美徳 and 礼法 are commonplace, while sadly being vanishingly uncommon in everyday Japanese society. I've yet to finish it, but several hours in I've relished my experience to the point that I wish to more carefully regulate my consumption of it in coming evenings. It is a calming and alluring look into an illusory garden for maidens, and I highly recommend it.

Like many of the best things in life, it is best taken with tea.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.