The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 17, 2015, 08:19:35 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 17, 2015, 07:02:16 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 16, 2015, 11:04:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 16, 2015, 10:59:03 PM
Greece still has a big army doesn't it? How about France hire them as mercanaries on the national level by paying off the country's debt?

I think if we're going to get Byzantium involved in the ME again, they should at least take back Constantinople first.

Don't forget that for French leftists and others, like former leftist/commies but not neo-cons, e.g Chirac, Turkey is the heir of Byzantium.

Why would French leftists have any opinion whatsoever on who's the true "heir of Byzantium"? :huh:

Turkey in the EU.

Razgovory

Quote from: Liep on November 17, 2015, 07:31:42 AM
Because they're a Languish favourite:

They have weapons
Fuck them
We have champagne

I find it funny. /ducks and covers

Still not funny.  You know what would help?  If the fuckers could draw worth a shit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

No, that wouldn't make you find it funny.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2015, 08:10:21 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2015, 01:46:34 AM
Just pointed out that if the stories are in fact different, then the god in question is not one god but more than one, and hence the "See, we all believe in this thing together!" bit isn't really true.

Does that make sense though? I mean I'm sure different people who have at some point been in my life would tell wildly different stories about me. Are they not all talking about the same person?
No, it doesn't make sense.  For the last page B&G have been denying that they were saying what Minsky thought they were saying, only to clarify that they really did say what Minsky thought they were saying.  And what they're saying frankly is a little confused.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2015, 08:39:56 AM
Still not funny.  You know what would help?  If the fuckers could draw worth a shit.

It may not be particularly humorous, but it's a sentiment I can agree with, unlike some of their others.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 17, 2015, 06:54:13 AM
Speaking of empty gestures, courtesy of my brother in law:

Islam, and the Muslim world, is in serious shit right now. It is kind of ridiculous to hear about them expanding like some kind of conquering empire because they have some nutters among them who blow shit up.

But I guess this is from the same crowd who think 16% of Frenchmen are pro-ISIS.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Drakken on November 16, 2015, 07:53:46 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 16, 2015, 07:05:56 PM
Just out of curiosity what does the "State of Emergency" that's been declared in France mean in practical terms?  Hollande wants to extend it for three months, is that likely to happen?

Oh yes, it is likely to happen. Hollande is now steering the ship all starboard, ahoy.

Among the propositions on the table, bi-nationals "born-French" will be dispossessed of their citizenship in case of terrorism, foreign borns who present a threat to national security quickly deported, and a "National Guard" made of reservists of the Armed Forces will be mobilized. Also, constitutional changes will be proposed, which will have to be ratified either by a session of congress or a referendum, but the tenants of this reform haven't been made public yet.

Very strong moves, but smart moves, given the enormity of the problem in France. I'm seeing reports of large numbers of extremists in Paris that the intel agencies are just now realizing. Any truth to that or is it over the top reporting?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2015, 09:38:56 AM
But I guess this is from the same crowd who think 16% of Frenchmen are pro-ISIS.

14% of Frenchmen are pro-Mithra.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: KRonn on November 17, 2015, 10:46:43 AM
Very strong moves, but smart moves, given the enormity of the problem in France. I'm seeing reports of large numbers of extremists in Paris that the intel agencies are just now realizing. Any truth to that or is it over the top reporting?

What figures do you have?

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 17, 2015, 11:48:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2015, 09:38:56 AM

14% of Frenchmen are pro-Mithra.

Ah that might have been the cause of the problem. 16% of Frenchmen are actually pro-Isis. Frankly I am disturbed it is not higher. What is wrong with Isis? Certainly preferable to Set.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2015, 12:04:25 PM
What is wrong with Isis? Certainly preferable to Set.

She married her brother.  I could see this going over well in Texas, but not France.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Nothing, Isis is fucking awesome. She puts her husband-brother back together and then conveniently couldn't find his penis. Then she crafts her own gold penis in order to impregnate herself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 17, 2015, 08:59:41 AM
No, that wouldn't make you find it funny.

I could at least admire artistry.  This is like a Tijuana bible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2015, 12:54:34 PM
Nothing, Isis is fucking awesome. She puts her husband-brother back together and then conveniently couldn't find his penis. Then she crafts her own gold penis in order to impregnate herself.

Thus becoming, in one stroke as it were, the patron deity of both artificial insemination and dildos.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius