And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 13, 2015, 08:56:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2015, 08:53:35 PM
Guys while I agree that Islamic-inspired terrorists are the #1 suspect, we don't actually know who has done this terrible attack, or why.  Let's wait for facts before we start debating what to do next.

You're not in court where there is a burden of proof--there have been confirmed, by mainstream, reliable media, reports of Alahu Akbar being screamed during the attacks. This weird post of yours will go down in history as the dumbest thing you've ever said.

Doubtful - I say a lot of dumb things.

But we're not in the court phase yet - we're at the investigation phase.  And a good investigator keeps all options open until their is substantial evidence.  Tunnel vision is the enemy of a good investigation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

What changes if they are not Muslim psychos?

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2015, 09:00:58 PM
Guys while I agree that Islamic-inspired terrorists are the #1 suspect, we don't actually know who has done this terrible attack, or why.  Let's wait for facts before we start debating what to do next.

You're not in court where there is a burden of proof--there have been confirmed, by mainstream, reliable media, reports of Alahu Akbar being screamed during the attacks. This weird post of yours will go down in history as the dumbest thing you've ever said.

But we're not in the court phase yet - we're at the investigation phase.  And a good investigator keeps all options open until their is substantial evidence.  Tunnel vision is the enemy of a good investigation.

Would you be happy with a preliminary "God did it" ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

QuoteIn a dark turn, apparent supporters of ISIL on Twitter were also using the hashtag #باريس_تشتعل (Paris burns) to spread the news. The hashtag is the same that appeared during the bloody January terror attack in Paris on satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo's offices and on a Paris grocery store.

I just don't get this--Twitter should be turning over records on every account that tweets this hashtag, and/or banning accounts--working with the intelligence services to decide on the right course of action. Again--recruitment, incitement to terrorism etc should not be seen as protected speech. I do not understand why ISIS is permitted to use the largest social media platforms with impunity.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 09:02:29 PM

I guess they could be states rights actiivists from Dixie or maybe disgruntled former Michelin star restaurant reviewers. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2015, 09:00:58 PM

That's a good point.  How about all of us here recuse ourselves from the investigations, can we then employ common sense in these discussion?

LaCroix

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 13, 2015, 08:08:25 PM
The enlightenment was largely what moved the West from being this prone to religious violence. The Muslim world has gone through reformations and it's resulted in movements like Wahhabism.

the arab world was crushed and colonized and has been getting back on its feat only recently.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 13, 2015, 08:08:25 PM
The enlightenment was largely what moved the West from being this prone to religious violence. The Muslim world has gone through reformations and it's resulted in movements like Wahhabism.

Actually Muslim writers have been warning for a long time now that the Muslim world is now going through the equivalent of a Reformation struggle and that is essentially what we are witnessing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2015, 09:49:29 PM
Actually Muslim writers have been warning for a long time now that the Muslim world is now going through the equivalent of a Reformation struggle and that is essentially what we are witnessing.

Toss in a post-colonial realignment that's been postponed for far too long, and then things get real spicy-like.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

I saw in the news this week that in Indonesia an Imam was calling for the ouster and killing of Christians, to burn churches. Some churches were burnt and Christians attacked. That's new for Indonesia as they've been seen as an example of peaceful coexistence.

And the Germans can speak better to this. Hearing in the news similar type calls there for Muslims to rise up, that as Muslims have more kids they'll overtake Germans, and all that sort of thing and a lot worse, pretty nasty and radical stuff. Saying that Germany will be part of the Caliphate. Lots of attacks on Germans by Muslim youths.

On Greece's island of Lesbos Syrians and others coming ashore are rampaging, pillaging, raping, causing serious problems for the Greeks there.

CountDeMoney

I could so totally go for some Syrian lesbians right now.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 09:02:29 PM

Probably a lot.  If it's connected to guys coming from ISIS then it could result in military action.  Hitting Russia in one week and the French is not a the way to ensure a long and uneventful life.  If it turns out that it was the work of the Riddler there probably will be no military action.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

So this Paris attack and others such as slaughtering a Jordanian pilot on video, killing Egyptian Copts on video, plus the downing of the Russian airliner, would seem to charge up opposition and you'd think ISIS wouldn't want to keep making so many enemies and bring down so much resistance on their heads. But that's looking at it from another point of view and not theirs. So what is ISIS looking to gain by goading various nations, western and Islamic, into being a lot more active in striking back? Yeah, an ideology isn't easy to break with military action but military force could take out ISIS territory and remove their fledgling Caliphate. Puts them back to square one. That can work against them as it did in Anbar province where Iraqi Sunnis became so fed up with their Al-Qaeda friends and worked with the US/coalition and new Iraqi army during the surge to oust AQ. That was so successful with Iraqi Muslims fighting them that AQ leaders sent out messages to followers to not send any more fighters, that they were done in Iraq. ISIS would know that they can be seriously hurt in their physical lands and be badly set back. So why are they so intent on keeping stirring up the hornet's nest?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 13, 2015, 09:04:28 PM
QuoteIn a dark turn, apparent supporters of ISIL on Twitter were also using the hashtag #باريس_تشتعل (Paris burns) to spread the news. The hashtag is the same that appeared during the bloody January terror attack in Paris on satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo's offices and on a Paris grocery store.

I just don't get this--Twitter should be turning over records on every account that tweets this hashtag, and/or banning accounts--working with the intelligence services to decide on the right course of action. Again--recruitment, incitement to terrorism etc should not be seen as protected speech. I do not understand why ISIS is permitted to use the largest social media platforms with impunity.

I saw somewhere that they actually do ban the accounts. It just takes so little effort to for ISIS to just create new accounts almost immediately.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help