News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Goodfellas found innocent!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 12, 2015, 06:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2015, 11:09:45 PM
Ah Jimmy...  "not guilty" is NOT the same as "innocent".
if you're innocent until proven guilty, and you're not proven guilty, aren't you innocent? in law talk I mean.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2015, 11:01:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2015, 10:32:34 PM
Never saw it.  I tend to avoid those movies.
It's much better than Godfather, in my opinion, though I never saw it either.  I can't stand The Godfather's portrayal of how Mafia members were just noble entrepreneurs occasionally killing out of love.

Yeah, that's why I avoid those movies.  Those guys are scum.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

You know, the fact that the world of the mob is glorified in Goodfellas is part of the point of the movie. The main character idolizes that world since he's a little boy, and enjoys the fast life of luxury and money, until he becomes a prisoner of that life to the point that it nearly destroys him. On that regard, the ending is great.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2015, 08:21:27 AM
It's much better than Godfather, in my opinion, though I never saw it either.  I can't stand The Godfather's portrayal of how Mafia members were just noble entrepreneurs occasionally killing out of love.

Yeah, that's why I avoid those movies.  Those guys are scum.

You are missing some good movies.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

You're nuts The Godfather portrayed the Mafia as a bunch of monsters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 09:33:06 PM

You're nuts The Godfather portrayed the Mafia as a bunch of monsters.

Michael had a hooker murdered just to frame a politician. I ask you, is this the work of a monster?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2015, 07:47:57 AM
I only watched Godfather I.  :blush:

So you saw them murder a horse to get some actor a part.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Meh.  The horse should have chosen its owner better, the guy was a prick.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on November 13, 2015, 07:56:40 AM
if you're innocent until proven guilty, and you're not proven guilty, aren't you innocent? in law talk I mean.

:yes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

You are "presumed innocent".  That's still different from being found to be innocent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2015, 11:25:24 AM

You are "presumed innocent".  That's still different from being found to be innocent.

While being "not guilty" is not the same as being found "innocent", it is a good thing that we don't require the latter.  :)

But naturally, there are many examples of people who had committed crimes, and their guilt was quite obvious, but were still found "not guilty".