University of Missouri Authorities Apprehend Suspect Behind Social Media Threats

Started by garbon, November 12, 2015, 03:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

In my last office we had unisex bath rooms on our floor. Which confused the heck out of female visitors when they ran into you coming out. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on November 12, 2015, 05:55:04 AM
I'm surprised that the environment can be so poisonous for minorities in a XXIth century uni campus, by the way. Some of the stuff that has come up to the light is truly shocking.

You just get to hear about it all now thanks to the internet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

It is kind of disturbing that a problem with a professor and a test required forming an internet mob to destroy the guys life and not simply appealing to the Dean of Students or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2015, 06:34:20 AM
It is kind of disturbing that a problem with a professor and a test required forming an internet mob to destroy the guys life and not simply appealing to the Dean of Students or something.

Well, I also don't know if that student intended this as an outcome. Isn't to hard to imagine someone taking a screenshot, post that up just complaining about their professor - but then goes viral and the internet mob calls for blood. Though to be honest, I don't think I would ever be posting screenshots of my correspondence with anyone, particularly if I hadn't gone ahead to block out any names/personal details.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2015, 03:45:40 AM
I wonder if this was just a stupid kid doing it for the LOLs. Either way, what an idiot. <_<

I had a feeling that is what it was.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2015, 06:38:06 AM

Well, I also don't know if that student intended this as an outcome. Isn't to hard to imagine someone taking a screenshot, post that up just complaining about their professor - but then goes viral and the internet mob calls for blood. Though to be honest, I don't think I would ever be posting screenshots of my correspondence with anyone, particularly if I hadn't gone ahead to block out any names/personal details.

True. This may have been just one guy venting a bit on twitter (or whatever) and it quickly got out of hand.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2015, 06:39:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2015, 06:38:06 AM

True. This may have been just one guy venting a bit on twitter (or whatever) and it quickly got out of hand.

One woman. Though I suppose it could be a male Jasmine. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2015, 06:39:44 AM

What? That never happens!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2015, 05:10:28 AM
I read some reports that certain aspects of this story may be fabrications or blown out of proportion (for example, that there are no actual eye witnesses of the "shit swastika").

All sorts of rumors are being reported now.  For instance yesterday there were claims that the Klan was going to mount an attack and a black woman was chased by three whites with a bats.  These were re-tweeted by the Student body president, but had no basis in fact.  The two threats of violence came from people over 100 miles away from the MU campus, and neither student was from the Columbia area.

The weird thing about this is that Columbia, Missouri is probably the least racist place in the state.  It's a very liberal college town.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2015, 10:59:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2015, 05:10:28 AM
I read some reports that certain aspects of this story may be fabrications or blown out of proportion (for example, that there are no actual eye witnesses of the "shit swastika").

All sorts of rumors are being reported now.  For instance yesterday there were claims that the Klan was going to mount an attack and a black woman was chased by three whites with a bats.  These were re-tweeted by the Student body president, but had no basis in fact.  The two threats of violence came from people over 100 miles away from the MU campus, and neither student was from the Columbia area.

The weird thing about this is that Columbia, Missouri is probably the least racist place in the state.  It's a very liberal college town.

Revolutionary action tends to lead to paranoia.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on November 12, 2015, 01:34:17 PM
Activists are now segregating all the white activists. Hilarious.

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/mizzou-protesters-now-segregating-their-members-by-race/

Oddly, only the conservative blogosphere seems to have any mentions of a black only healing space.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.