Dept of Education declares that school must allow boy to shower with girls

Started by Phillip V, November 02, 2015, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 12:04:40 PM
Oh wait you are talking about anti-discrimination laws. Well I don't think those have specific standards on how to apply them. How to do that, I thought, was the topic of conversation. I suppose it could involve mandating a nationwide gender education standard. But wow...

I don't think so.  I am not sure why each school district couldn't create its own policy so long as that policy met the wider requirements of the applicable legislation. 

The Brain

Can't we identify all the morans in the world and then have them use the "special shower"? Problem solved.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2015, 12:14:52 PM
Can't we identify all the morans in the world and then have them use the "special shower"? Problem solved.

I don't think you would agree with who we would identify. ;)

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2015, 12:03:03 PM
I don't really understand your point.  What was being enforced here was Human Rights Legislation which was itself enacted by a democratically elected body.

My point was exactly that. This was a school board elected by a community that supported these ideas and passed legislation to address it. I think that is great.

But I thought we were discussing an order passed down by the Department of Education :hmm:

Oh wait you are talking about anti-discrimination laws. Well I don't think those have specific standards on how to apply them. How to do that, I thought, was the topic of conversation. I suppose it could involve mandating a nationwide gender education standard. But wow...

But the finding in the case quoted was that the school's behaviour violated anti-discrimination laws - presumably these were laws passed by someone with legislative power (and hopefully of a higher rank than the school's board). So again I am not sure what your problem is.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2015, 11:56:01 AM
Just build a separate unique snowflake shower for all the precious deviants. Problem solved.

Don't you have kitchens to sell, Slargos?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 12:12:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 03, 2015, 12:10:20 PM
I don't know that would say that though yes I think teachers and administrators being smacked for spreading ignorant and backwards views. I also don't fear culture wars as I see them as a great opportunity to grind the outdated into the ground. Very unlikely that at my former high school today would a health teacher shame gay students by stating anal sex is bad as the anus is an exit only area.

Well I think we are in agreement here. I was responding to Marty claiming that if any girls have a problem with somebody who is physically male in their shower they should be educated to be right thinking. That seems a bit...difficult to pull off unless the community and school board are on board.

Again I am not sure I agree. I am not talking about educating to be "right thinking". I am talking about educating about facts (such as "a transgendered student is not a boy despite being born with male genitals"). Surely, if the community and the school board was "educating" students that the Earth is flat and is in fact one of the genitals of Satan, Our Supreme Lord and Saviour, the Board of Education would have a right to intervene. How else would you enforce compliance with the national curriculum (which may - and in fact should - include anti-discrimination education).

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2015, 12:14:27 PM

I don't think so.  I am not sure why each school district couldn't create its own policy so long as that policy met the wider requirements of the applicable legislation. 

Exactly. Each district will be creating its own policy to match a federal standard based on this ruling. So it should be one people can reasonably apply that protects trans students without causing too much of a shit storm for the local communities.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2015, 12:14:52 PM

I don't like where this is heading.  :Joos

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 12:21:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2015, 12:14:27 PM

Exactly. Each district will be creating its own policy to match a federal standard based on this ruling. So it should be one people can reasonably apply that protects trans students without causing too much of a shit storm for the local communities.

Other than practical consideration for accomodating bigots, why exactly would that be?

Going by that logic, Brown vs. Board of Education also created a lot of "shit storm for the local communities". But when it did, someone braver than you sent in the National Guard.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 12:20:26 PM
I don't know that would say that though yes I think teachers and administrators being smacked for spreading ignorant and backwards views. I also don't fear culture wars as I see them as a great opportunity to grind the outdated into the ground. Very unlikely that at my former high school today would a health teacher shame gay students by stating anal sex is bad as the anus is an exit only area.

Well I think we are in agreement here. I was responding to Marty claiming that if any girls have a problem with somebody who is physically male in their shower they should be educated to be right thinking. That seems a bit...difficult to pull off unless the community and school board are on board.

Again I am not sure I agree. I am not talking about educating to be "right thinking". I am talking about educating about facts (such as "a transgendered student is not a boy despite being born with male genitals"). Surely, if the community and the school board was "educating" students that the Earth is flat and is in fact one of the genitals of Satan, Our Supreme Lord and Saviour, the Board of Education would have a right to intervene. How else would you enforce compliance with the national curriculum (which may - and in fact should - include anti-discrimination education).

Your idea that there is a strict dividing line between 100% boy and 0% boy with no middle ground is weird.

Valmy

Right so if a girl, or her family or whatever, freak out that somebody they think is a boy is allowed in their shower they are wrong and must be taught to be correct. Ergo 'right thinking'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2015, 12:24:19 PM

Your idea that there is a strict dividing line between 100% boy and 0% boy with no middle ground is weird.

I don't have such idea - that is why I support the Vancouverian policy Crazy Canuck quoted, which calls for such cases to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. We are talking of possibly a handful of students per school, so there is no need for a "one size fits all" policy.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 12:22:34 PM
Other than practical consideration for accomodating bigots, why exactly would that be?

Going by that logic, Brown vs. Board of Education also created a lot of "shit storm for the local communities". But when it did, someone braver than you sent in the National Guard.

Oh FFS. Transgendered students are not be segregated out of school. We are talking about bathroom accommodations.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 12:25:44 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2015, 12:24:19 PM

I don't have such idea - that is why I support the Vancouverian policy Crazy Canuck quoted, which calls for such cases to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. We are talking of possibly a handful of students per school, so there is no need for a "one size fits all" policy.

You presented "a transgendered student is not a boy despite being born with male genitals" as a fact.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 12:25:44 PM

Yes but there has to be a minimum standard nationwide if this is a human rights issue. So sure a school district or board may make rulings on a case by case basis to benefit the student and the community but there has to be a baseline of compliance that suits every case. If this is a human rights issue and it seems to be.