Why I've started to believe that religion is actively dangerous

Started by Berkut, October 28, 2015, 01:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2015, 03:02:58 PM
Very easy to argue that kamikaze pilots had a religious aspect to their motivation.

Not enough female virgins at Yasukuni to go around I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2015, 12:26:51 PM
Wait, are you actually saying that noone but religiously motivated people use suicide (terrorist) attacks? Because that's patently untrue - from Russian anarchists, to nazis and Japanese soldiers in WW2, to Tamil Tigers, to Kurds. While Chechens are Muslims, it is questionable whether many of their attacks against Russians were also religiously motivated.

Wait, are you saying you read my assertion as "no one has ever committed a suicidal attack except from 'religious motivation'?"  You need to re-read my statement, and then you will understand why your argument doesn't respond to mine.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Very easy to argue that kamikaze pilots had a religious aspect to their motivation.

Kamikaze attacks weren't suicide bombings.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2015, 07:12:34 PM

I thought the suicidal element was relevant, not whether they were using a bomb.  :huh:

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2015, 11:46:28 AM

I thought the suicidal element was relevant, not whether they were using a bomb.  :huh:

wut

grumbler

And I thought we were discussing suicide bombers (who overwhelmingly target civilians in terrorist attacks) and not men trying desperately to defend their homelands at all costs.

The argument that no all suicidal behavior is undertaken with some assurance that one will be rewarded in an afterlife has not, insofar as I know, ever been made.

Bayraktar!

garbon

All suicidal behaviour is undertaken with some assurance that one will be rewarded in an afterlife.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2015, 12:23:03 PM
All suicidal behaviour is undertaken with some assurance that one will be rewarded in an afterlife.

There you go, Marti.  Have at it!

*pops popcorn*

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on November 01, 2015, 11:48:47 AM

wut

Berkut and grumbler were arguing that people are more likely to be suicidal bombers if they are religious - surely the suicidal part is relevant to this argument, not whether they use bombs, knives or planes?  :huh:

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2015, 12:54:56 PM

wut

Berkut and grumbler were arguing that people are more likely to be suicidal bombers if they are religious - surely the suicidal part is relevant to this argument, not whether they use bombs, knives or planes?  :huh:

Try reading what you are arguing against, rather than assuming you already know.  "Suicide bomber" has a specific meaning.  "Suicidal bombers" is a general term that could include Torpedo Eight at Midway, or 825 NAS during the Channel Dash, and they are a far different case than some Hamas guy blowing up a market.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2015, 12:54:56 PM

wut

AFAIK many kamikaze pilots used bombs.

garbon

Apparently, though obviously I didn't check the veracity, but saccording to wiki ome of the first uses in English of the term suicide bombings referred to kamikaze attacks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2015, 01:07:03 PM
Apparently, though obviously I didn't check the veracity, but saccording to wiki ome of the first uses in English of the term suicide bombings referred to kamikaze attacks.

I just looked up "suicide bomber" on wikipedia, which redirected to "suicide attack."  the term "suicide bomber" is used 72 times in that article.  72 of those times, it refers to someone who straps on explosives and detonates them to kill other people.  Dunno where you are getting your info, but I have never, in any of the hundred or so books I have read that dealt with WW2 in the Pacific, seen the Kamikazes referred to as suicide bombers.   

Bayraktar!

The Brain