Middle East Will be Too Hot for Humans to Live by the End of the Century

Started by jimmy olsen, October 26, 2015, 06:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 26, 2015, 07:43:39 PM
Craig T. Nelson was in that made-for-TV movie.  It had Americans overrunning the Canadian border.  :P

Now that would be a horror show for the Canucks!    :ph34r:

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2015, 09:46:03 PMThe problem is solvable. When we designed our technology burning clean was not a priority. Now it is. Design different systems in line with new priorities. Within a relatively short time CO2 emissions are going to plunge. The problem is simply that it will be too late to prevent a lot of these disasters. But still better late than never.

Not to paint an overly rosy picture, but even with a lot of factors working against it: American skepticism of global warming, Chinese need to expand its industrial base, we're at least seeing progress in the right direction on carbon emissions. Even China is getting relatively serious about renewables and cleaner practices with its fossil fuel burning. The U.S. has implemented lots of policies designed to start turning the tide. It's generally agreed we aren't yet doing enough, but we're doing something. I think we'll do more and more as time progresses. My prediction is not fast enough to avoid some "relatively unpleasant impacts" but I think we're on the path to at the least avoid what I'd categorize as "catastrophe."

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on October 27, 2015, 10:13:57 AM
Craig T. Nelson was in that made-for-TV movie.  It had Americans overrunning the Canadian border.  :P

Syrian refugees I can support.  But this?  :P

Warspite

All I can say is that I hope my pension fund is investing heavily in companies that produce goods and services related to mitigating the impact of climate change.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2015, 10:33:28 AM
Quote from: KRonn on October 27, 2015, 10:13:57 AM

Syrian refugees I can support.  But this?  :P

Hehe, all those "ugly" Americans, they'll straighten things out in Canada in no time!   ;)

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on October 26, 2015, 10:42:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2015, 10:00:48 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 26, 2015, 09:44:25 PM

If I were in front of a computer, playing a space 4x game known as Master of Planets, and I see a pop up saying, a global disaster will happen, and we need to build this, stop that etc to solve the problem, I will. 

But I am not.  I don't have control over the entire planet.  I am an insignificant office assistant, an individual.  My individual choices have no effect on the outcome whatsoever.  Even individual countries don't have much control over this.  I see a problem that is unsolvable.

Is this a Chinese thing or just you?

Obviously I can only speak for myself.  As for the general Chinese attitude, I suggest that you form your own opinion based on evidence.  Go look around in China.  Talk to other Chinese.  Search for relevant statistics.

I can't speak Chinese.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2015, 01:57:01 PM
Mono is not the only Chinaman who knows English.

You may have noticed but I don't exactly get out much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2015, 01:47:29 PM

I can't speak Chinese.

So?  I can't speak Japanese or German, yet I go to these places.  And I survived.  Tons of people don't know any Chinese but go to China.  First of all, unlike the French, Chinese don't expect foreigners to speak Chinese.  Chinese have a responsibility to learn English to communicate with foreigners.  At least that's why I learned English.