News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I want a new gaming rig

Started by Tamas, October 26, 2015, 10:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2017, 01:24:59 PM
Are you moving back to the US any time soon?  I kind of assumed you're a lifer at this point.  A friend of mine from university went to Korea to teach after university - he's been there 12-15 years now.  I guess there's some kind of appeal.

I want to have kids, and I ain't sending them to Korean ones. Elementary would be fine if they spoke Korean, but since neither of us do, I don't expect they'll be able to speak it well. Middle and High School is absolutely out of the question, just look at Mono to see why.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Playing around with the customizer here, looks pretty good for $1,499

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GT72VR-Dominator-Gaming-Laptop

Display :: MSI GT72VR Dominator, 17.3" G-SYNC FHD, Anti-Glare 1920x1080 [SKL]
Processor :: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Mobile Processor (4x 2.6GHz/6MB L3 Cache) [GT72]
Memory :: 16GB [8GB x 2] 2400MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 - VR Ready [GT72]
M.2 Solid State Drive :: 256GB Intel 600P Series M.2 PCIe NVME SSD --Read: 1570MB/s; Write: 540MB/sSingle Drive
Primary Hard Drive :: 1 TB 7200rpm Super Slim Laptop Hard DriveSingle Drive
Optical Drive :: DVD Super Multi [GT72]
Media Card Reader / Writer :: Built-in SD Memory Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2017, 01:38:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2017, 01:24:59 PM
Are you moving back to the US any time soon?  I kind of assumed you're a lifer at this point.  A friend of mine from university went to Korea to teach after university - he's been there 12-15 years now.  I guess there's some kind of appeal.

I want to have kids, and I ain't sending them to Korean ones. Elementary would be fine if they spoke Korean, but since neither of us do, I don't expect they'll be able to speak it well. Middle and High School is absolutely out of the question, just look at Mono to see why.

Okay - even if you knock your GF up the moment you get back, you don't have to worry about schooling them for 6-7 years.  I'll repeat - you're not coming back any time real soon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

I'm in America right now. If I want to bring my new pc back with me, it has to be a laptop.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

OK, I don't think trying to argue him out of buying a laptop based on your assumptions about his life choices is really very useful.

You want an SSD because the money spent on a SSD is, IMO, one of the best results for dollars spent you can get in a gaming PC. Any PC really. I would MUCH rather spend less on a CPU in order to afford a SSD, for example.

As far as the GPU, I agree with Tamas that spending a ton on a top end CPU while getting a low end GPU is similarly foolish. Your gaming experience will be driven by the lowest end component, so your goal should be to get all the components balanced for a given price point.

A super expensive CPU and memory will run as fast as your low end GPU.

A mid level CPU and memory will run as fast as a mid level GPU.

So why spend money on a high end CPU if you cannot afford a high end GPU?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

So, that last build I posted was okay?

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Looks pretty good for 1,349 I think. Anyone have any experience with Eluktronics?
The Amazon and Newegg reviews look great.

https://www.amazon.com/Eluktronics-P670RP6-Premium-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01KZ6BNUY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

They have a version of this with a ridiculous 5 TB hardrive on their website for just $50 more.

Eluktronics P670RP6 Premium VR Ready Gaming Laptop -
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad Core
Windows 10 Home
6GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
17.3" Full HD IPS
256GB Performance SSD + 1TB HDD 16GB DDR4 RAM

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Just ordered the above from Amazon, upgraded for 1,549.95

Eluktronics P670RP6 Premium VR Ready Gaming Laptop -
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad Core
Windows 10 Home
6GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
17.3" Full HD IPS
512GB Performance SSD + 1TB HDD 32GB DDR4 RAM

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Looking good. :)

I have an 1060 neutered down to 3GB and I am very happy with it, so you should be even better off, plus with a very sweet CPU.

And Berkut is totally right about the SSD. You have no idea what a quality of life improvement it is until you try it.

Syt

Having games like CK2 or EU4 on SSD greatly improves loading times. Not to mention boot up if your OS is on SSD.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2017, 02:09:07 AM
Looks pretty good for 1,349 I think. Anyone have any experience with Eluktronics?

The gaming laptop I bought about a year ago is Eluktronics, and I am very, very happy with it.

0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2017, 01:38:10 PM
Middle and High School is absolutely out of the question, just look at Mono to see why.
While he's a tad extreme, I see nothing wrong in his love of animes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2017, 01:56:27 PM
Playing around with the customizer here, looks pretty good for $1,499

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GT72VR-Dominator-Gaming-Laptop

Display :: MSI GT72VR Dominator, 17.3" G-SYNC FHD, Anti-Glare 1920x1080 [SKL]
Processor :: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Mobile Processor (4x 2.6GHz/6MB L3 Cache) [GT72]
Memory :: 16GB [8GB x 2] 2400MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 - VR Ready [GT72]
M.2 Solid State Drive :: 256GB Intel 600P Series M.2 PCIe NVME SSD --Read: 1570MB/s; Write: 540MB/sSingle Drive
Primary Hard Drive :: 1 TB 7200rpm Super Slim Laptop Hard DriveSingle Drive
Optical Drive :: DVD Super Multi [GT72]
Media Card Reader / Writer :: Built-in SD Memory Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]
if you make sure your laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port, you could later upgrade it with an external GPU, kinda like these:
http://www.notebookreview.com/howto/how-to-upgrade-your-notebook-with-an-external-graphics-card/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

So whats the latest scoop on AMD Ryzen processors?

0 rows returned