News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I want a new gaming rig

Started by Tamas, October 26, 2015, 10:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

If you want to game you will have to look for a gaming laptop. I mean, sure the CPU is awesome, SSD is big enough RAM is great, but the 1050 is the weakest of the Geforce series and you'd have trouble running any of the latest gaming offerings I assume, even though your CPU and RAM would be more than able to deal with whatever is thrown at them.

It's almost a malicious setup: you don't really need that CPU with that kind of a video card.

Take a look at Lenovo gaming laptops maybe? I was perfectly happy with mine, it was very, very nice for its price.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on January 16, 2017, 04:34:35 AM
If you want to game you will have to look for a gaming laptop. I mean, sure the CPU is awesome, SSD is big enough RAM is great, but the 1050 is the weakest of the Geforce series and you'd have trouble running any of the latest gaming offerings I assume, even though your CPU and RAM would be more than able to deal with whatever is thrown at them.

It's almost a malicious setup: you don't really need that CPU with that kind of a video card.

Take a look at Lenovo gaming laptops maybe? I was perfectly happy with mine, it was very, very nice for its price.

Reviews said it was about as good as the 960, but more energy efficient and cheaper.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gtx-1050-ti-review/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/22/nvidias-geforce-gtx-1050ti-affordable-graphics-thats-actually-gaming-worthy/

QuoteSo, can the Ti win where the 460 failed and deliver good-enough gaming at an affordable price?

Immediately, let's be frank, the answer is no.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on January 16, 2017, 09:41:32 AM
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/22/nvidias-geforce-gtx-1050ti-affordable-graphics-thats-actually-gaming-worthy/

QuoteSo, can the Ti win where the 460 failed and deliver good-enough gaming at an affordable price?

Immediately, let's be frank, the answer is no.

That is a rather bullshit summary of the review Tamas.

That "no" is SPECIFICALLY around whether the card they reviewed met the goal of reasonable gaming at a affordable price, and the card they reviewed was simply too expensive for what you got. The review overall was pretty positive about the actual gaming performance at its market spot.

Since we don't really know what the price is here, since it is bundled into the laptop, you can't really evaluate it in that manner.

The ACTUAL summary of the review you posted would seem to make a better, you know, summary of the review:

"Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050Ti is pricey but worth a look if you favour new over second hand."

I am not advocating for or against it, just pointing out that your post does not at all reflect the review at all.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

I got one of these last year:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S13MM7865

I have been very, very happy with it. However, I paid a lot less than what it is listed for now. I paid $1299, and it lists for $1700.

0 rows returned

Berkut

0 rows returned

Tamas

Still, it seems like an utter waste of money to get the very best of the newest generation of CPUs, just out for, what, a week, and then put a 1050Ti next to it. Anything, apart from maybe things like Paradox games, that would even remotely start to tax the CPU would not be able to do so because the GPU would stop it long before that.

jimmy olsen

Compromises have to be made unless I want to spend 1,799.

Berkut mentioned that no SSD was a deal breaker for him. What exactly does it do, and why is it necessary?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

The first one listed was like 8lb.  FOr that price and weight why not just get a gaming desktop?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2017, 12:55:30 PM
The first one listed was like 8lb.  FOr that price and weight why not just get a gaming desktop?

I need to be able to travel with it, and a laptop, no matter how heavy is much easier to do so than a desktop.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2017, 01:03:15 PM
I need to be able to travel with it,

Why?

Get the desktop, and for times when you travel get (or maybe you already have) a ultrathin notebook or a tablet.

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2017, 12:26:33 PM
Compromises have to be made unless I want to spend 1,799.

Berkut mentioned that no SSD was a deal breaker for him. What exactly does it do, and why is it necessary?

Speed! SPEED!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2017, 01:05:03 PM

Why?

Get the desktop, and for times when you travel get (or maybe you already have) a ultrathin notebook or a tablet.

What do you mean why? If I move back to the US, or to another country, no way am I packing a desktop in a bag that's going through airport luggage. I'd have to mail it and even that would be iffy. A laptop you can bring on the plane, keep an eye on it and make sure it's not banged around.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Are you moving back to the US any time soon?  I kind of assumed you're a lifer at this point.  A friend of mine from university went to Korea to teach after university - he's been there 12-15 years now.  I guess there's some kind of appeal.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2017, 01:19:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2017, 01:05:03 PM

Why?

What do you mean why? If I move back to the US, or to another country, no way am I packing a desktop in a bag that's going through airport luggage. I'd have to mail it and even that would be iffy. A laptop you can bring on the plane, keep an eye on it and make sure it's not banged around.
sell the desktop then, and buy a new one once in the US.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.