News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

DC3 : Barbarossa under beta

Started by Drakken, October 25, 2015, 09:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Yeah, that is what I had recalled.  "Summonsed to Berlin" is the correct use of that word.

Habbaku

Unless he's being served with a summons, summonsed is incorrect.

It should be summoned.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 05, 2017, 02:01:21 PM
Yeah, that is what I had recalled.  "Summonsed to Berlin" is the correct use of that word.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on December 05, 2017, 02:31:32 PM
Unless he's being served with a summons, summonsed is incorrect.

It should be summoned.

He was given a "summons" and therefore the use of summonsed is correct.  I think the error you are probably making is thinking a "summons" is only a judicial process.  I assume that from your use of the word "served".

However the first definition of the word given in the COD is "an authoritative call to attend at a specific place for a specific purpose."   That is what is occurring here.

Granted, the word is not often used, but there is no error in using it in this context.

Alcibiades

I have never seen it spelled that way before, guess I'm a retard.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

crazy canuck

Quote from: Alcibiades on December 05, 2017, 03:48:29 PM

No, its just an uncommon usage these days.   But it is a WWII game so I assume they decided to use the word that would have been more common in that time period.

grumbler

No one ever actually used "summonsed" that way in normal (or probably even legit legal) usage.  It is just a designer being pretentious, I think.  "Summons" as a verb has always been artificial as fuck.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on December 06, 2017, 01:07:57 PM

No one ever actually used "summonsed" that way in normal (or probably even legit legal) usage.  It is just a designer being pretentious, I think.  "Summons" as a verb has always been artificial as fuck.

Good to know you have knowledge of what everyone has ever said.   You could use your powers for good and assist the Mueller investigation.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 06, 2017, 02:04:48 PM
Good to know you have knowledge of what everyone has ever said.   You could use your powers for good and assist the Mueller investigation.

Good to know you haven't lost your flair for strawman arguments.  You could get a job with the Trump administration with that skill.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on December 06, 2017, 04:36:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 06, 2017, 02:04:48 PM

Good to know you haven't lost your flair for strawman arguments.  You could get a job with the Trump administration with that skill.

Sorry you are right.  Your superpower is limited to knowing if anyone has ever used the word summonsed.

11B4V

This is the game forum. Take that shit to the kiddy forums like the backroom and the main OTR forum. This is serious shit here.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on December 06, 2017, 07:46:54 PM
This is the game forum. Take that shit to the kiddy forums like the backroom and the main OTR forum. This is serious shit here.

GODDAMIT, IT'S THE EASTERN FRONT. NO FIGHTING IN THE WAR ROOM!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Alcibiades

Quote. If 2nd Army HQ (German) is destroyed it wasn't automatically reconstituting the following turn. The bug was specific to 2nd Army HQ as it's the only German HQ that arrives as a reinforcement which created an issue under certain circumstances. Fixed.

Is this related-ish to the problem I was having?   :P

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain