Cyberpunk 2077 Is "Far, Far Bigger Than The Witcher 3" Says Dev

Started by Syt, October 24, 2015, 05:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 11, 2020, 05:00:52 PM
The game's already recouped all its development and marketing costs in pre-order sales so expect to see a ton more content and support for this game and hell I'm excited.

Yeah but they'll need to work on polishing and bug fixing for the forseeable future. I'm on PC so it's fine but the console people are boned. The story and characters are interesting but it's obvious this is not a game that was finished a long time ago and they've just been spending the last 18 months fine-tuning. What we're playing must have been their third attempt at this game or something, rushed out the door in time for Christmas.

So I'd advise waiting a few months and then checking back if you're on the fence.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on December 13, 2020, 03:47:10 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 11, 2020, 05:00:52 PM
The game's already recouped all its development and marketing costs in pre-order sales so expect to see a ton more content and support for this game and hell I'm excited.

Yeah but they'll need to work on polishing and bug fixing for the forseeable future. I'm on PC so it's fine but the console people are boned. The story and characters are interesting but it's obvious this is not a game that was finished a long time ago and they've just been spending the last 18 months fine-tuning. What we're playing must have been their third attempt at this game or something, rushed out the door in time for Christmas.

So I'd advise waiting a few months and then checking back if you're on the fence.

Yeah this is a wait to buy. I'm enjoying the game too but bugs make it a little sour. Having to reload the game a few times in a couple hours of game time because of UI bugs or my sprint keybind no longer working gets annoying.

God forbid if someone bought this for their kid on a non-PS5 console though.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Legbiter

The looter/shooter equipment progression really grinds my gears. There's no possibility of maintaining any sort of aesthetic style or sensibility for your character. You always look like you were dressed by 5 year olds. The gameplay loop never changes except for hacking when leveling up, you just get perks that allow you to do the exact same thing, but incrementally better. The quest choices you make seemingly have no impact downstream like they often did in the Witcher games, which is a bizarre oversight I feel. 

This game is a solid 7,5 IMO, you'll play it once, be somewhat amused by it and never touch it again.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

About 15 hours in and I largely agree that the gameplay aspects are mediocre. Shooting, driving, stealth, crafting all are at best 'acceptable.' Skill builds and progression looks diverse enough for a few different playthroughs though.

The writing itself is quite good, but I haven't progressed far enough to say how much your choices matter in this game. There are supposedly at least five different endings so we'll see.

Overall it seems like a hodgepodge of ideas baked into a game that started early development 8 years ago, and that's what we got. I'd say the best parts of this game are the writing, the setting, and the graphical fidelity. This is easily the best looking video game ever made.

Once they fix the bugs and flesh out the gameplay systems, this will be a solid foundation for future expansions and sequels. Until then, wait to buy it on sale in six months or a year.

Official FunkMonk grade: 7 years in development out of 10

I'm still having quite a lot of fun with it though. It scratches an itch.

Sheilbh

I will get this once I've played Witcher 3 which I've never actually properly got into (:blush: :ph34r:) etc.

So when it's on sale :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I'm not far into it, just arrived at my apartment for the first time.

I generally like the look of the game. I've seen complaints that the city is mostly non-interactive set dressing. Me, I wouldn't mind that too much. L.A. Noire used 1940s L.A. as stage, and most of it was not interactive, and I still had a great time with it. There's also comments about assets repeating a lot, but so far I don't mind. A lot of it becomes background noise, anyways, after a while.

I'm a bit loathe to play more at the moment. I've seen some people on my Twitter feed get stuck on side quests that don't advance properly, so I'm waiting for more patches. Also, what I read about police just visibly spawning in when you commit crimes is a bit off putting.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

I will say the one the that kept popping in my head while playing this game is "this kinda feels like Fallout: New Vegas" so it has that going for it.

Tamas

One thing I don't get of people complaining about random-generated NPCs being crappy conversationalists: ignoring the technical requirements of what they dream of, is it normal for people to try and strike up meaningful conversations with people they randomly pass on city streets? Because I have never engaged in that, really.

The game is pretty good I think (aside the technical glitches), but it is more of a Cyberpunk version of the Witcher 3 formula, and not the same revolution to the post-Witcher 3 RPG genre as Witcher 3 was to the pre-Witcher 3 RPG genre, and I think this is what has people disappointed.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on December 14, 2020, 11:26:09 AM
One thing I don't get of people complaining about random-generated NPCs being crappy conversationalists: ignoring the technical requirements of what they dream of, is it normal for people to try and strike up meaningful conversations with people they randomly pass on city streets? Because I have never engaged in that, really.

Yeah, I don't quite get that either. In a small town or village where you can enter all buildings (think Gothic, or Skyrim) and quikly recognize all NPCs it makes sense to script daily activities for the denizens, so that the illusion remains intact.

In an anonymous big city (GTA)? Not much sense, as they're just "faces in the crowd" who you see once and never again. Give them some chatter, some idle animations, some basic interactions and it's fine IMHO. Also: make sure they react appropriately to danger.

I liked the NPC chatter in the city in Gothic 2. It was just random meaningless phrases that nevertheless connected surprisingly well.
"I've heard something else."
"If he doesn't see it, there's no helping him."
"I could tell you things ..."
"You have no idea anymore who to believe!"
"I will stay out of it."
"If only I'd known."
"It's a really bad affair."
"It'll never change."
"He's known it before."
"That's been known for a long time."
"No idea, you tell me."
"That's only going to cause more trouble."
Etc.

Yes, the lines became repetitive after a while, but it generated lovely background nonsense dialogue that was either amusing (to me, anyways), or you later completely ignored it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on December 14, 2020, 11:26:09 AM

Yeah, and if you did you sure wouldn't succeed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Did a side mission that involved a lot of driving and walking around all over the map. Happened to be mostly done in the middle of the night and the sun was coming up by the time I finished it. Found the city to be very atmospheric.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2020, 10:49:35 AM
I will get this once I've played Witcher 3 which I've never actually properly got into (:blush: :ph34r:) etc.

So when it's on sale :ph34r:
there's a remastered version coming in, so wait for that before you start playing :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.