Cyberpunk 2077 Is "Far, Far Bigger Than The Witcher 3" Says Dev

Started by Syt, October 24, 2015, 05:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I'm kind of intrigued in that I remember the 1980s PnP RPG it's based off of, but given how little I actually play I'll wait till I can get it at a discount and the bugs are fixed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2020, 05:00:00 PM
I'm kind of intrigued in that I remember the 1980s PnP RPG it's based off of, but given how little I actually play I'll wait till I can get it at a discount and the bugs are fixed.
I played Shadowrun as PNP RPG and have a soft spot for cyberpunk.

I guess I'll wait for some days first to hear whether it is any good.

Syt

Interestingly, PC Gamer's review is on the lower end of the spectrum so far:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cyberpunk-2077/critic-reviews

Gamespot puts it at 7/10:

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/cyberpunk-2077-review/1900-6417622/

QuoteThe Good

- There's plenty of flexibility in the RPG mechanics to build a character to suit your desired playstyle
- Quickhacking combat is satisfying to execute and turns combat scenarios into elaborate puzzles
- Side quests and characters provide the most interesting and human moments in the game
- Keanu Reeves' Johnny Silverhand adds dimension to nearly every quest, forcing you to rethink your decision-making instincts

The Bad

- There's so much to do that isn't meaningful, so a lot of it ends up feeling superfluous
- Superficial and often "edgy" aesthetic choices often have no real purpose, which makes them grating rather than adding anything relevant to the world
- The incorporation of different cultures and backgrounds is wildly inconsistent, from good to inaccurate to downright offensive
- The main story doesn't cohere with the rest of the game, with an urgency that's at odds with everything else
- Technical issues, from visual bugs to full-on crashes, are so pervasive that it's impossible to ignore
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

A lot of "the bad" just seems to be them failing to overcome the inherent faults of the open-world genre, for which I don't care that much (Witcher 3 had some of the same "issues"), and the bugs will probably be fixed whenever I get around to buy it (which will be one year from now or so, would love to upgrade my rig first).

garbon

I don't think I'll be likely to get it as over time, I've noticed an increasing tendency for me to feel motion sick with first person games. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Got it preordered (and preloaded), so I'll play it on launch. Am even thinking of streaming it on Twitch. :D

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2020, 03:58:25 AM
I don't think I'll be likely to get it as over time, I've noticed an increasing tendency for me to feel motion sick with first person games. -_-

OMG you are old!!

Syt

PC Gamer has compiled a list of their tech issues and also of findings from other reviewers:

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-buggy-is-cyberpunk-2077-really/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com

Looks like it could have used another month in the oven.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

I never heard of "Eurojank" before.  It's a neat concept.  Many of my favorite games could be classified as "EuroJank".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Yeah, I think German company Piranha Bytes games are a prime example of that: Gothic 1-3, Risen 1-3, ELEX, ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2020, 09:37:23 AM
Yeah, I think German company Piranha Bytes games are a prime example of that: Gothic 1-3, Risen 1-3, ELEX, ...

I played over 50% of the games mentioned in your message  :blush:

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2020, 05:34:26 AM
Looks like it could have used another month in the oven.

Game was first teased way back in 2013, and had release dates of April, September, October and November 2020.  I don't think one month more is going to cut it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

This baby runs at a solid 30-45 fps on my desktop pc with an ancient GTX 970 with a midrange CPU on low to medium settings at 1080p. Not bad! Was expecting a slideshow.

I'll try it GeForce Now tomorrow after the initial rush of folks. Ultra settings with ray tracing on at 60 fps is too hard to miss out on.

Played the first couple hours on the Corpo start. It was basically Bladerunner. I'm quite happy about it. No game breaking bugs, but small things like weird clipping and items disappearing out of NPC's hands. Hurts the immersion a little bit but overall the atmosphere of the game is incredible, even on lower end graphical settings. The music and the sound effects work really well. The world of Night City that they've created seems like it is something special.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I ended up buying it, because my new PC with an RTX 3080 arrived on Monday, and this is about the only game that can give it a proper workout.  :Embarrass:

I played through the Nomad opening up till you arrive in Night City. It sure looks pretty on all maxed settings, I suppose. I don't like the female voice actress, though.

I'm working long today, because I have Zoom calls from afternoon till evening, but I might post some screenshots later.
—Stephen Jay Gould