Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Never did any kind of fire drills or anything like that.  Probably because there simply was no open space that allowed all students to gather.  Only way to get the students out was to tell them to go home from school.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2018, 11:05:39 AM
The safety concerns we had when I was in elementary school was fire and what to do in case of a nuclear attack.  As a recall the answer to both was to form a line and calmly walk out to of the school to the playing field. :D

We were instructed to either crouch under our desks or against the wall in the hallway in the event of a nuclear attack.  It was just the same stuff as a tornado warning.

Going out onto the playground is better.  At least you guys would get a good view of the canned sunshine before being vaporized. 

E:  This makes me wonder how many warheads SA would have taken back in the day.  There were (are still) a bunch of bases in town, so presumably my best hope was that I would become a regular non-feral ghoul after all the radiation exposure.  Being a kid ghoul seems like it would suck pretty hard though.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PJL

Given the latest news, looks like it's bye bye FBI, as least in it's current form.

Given the latest latest news, looks like the FBI PR department is better than their other departments.

Razgovory

I'm not sure what law enforcement can do if unless a guy gives a very specific threat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on February 16, 2018, 03:02:07 PM
I'm not sure what law enforcement can do if unless a guy gives a very specific threat.

Well, you could follow up on a "tip that Nikolas Cruz owned guns, wanted to kill people, and could be a future school shooter."
https://www.vox.com/2018/2/16/17020764/nikolas-cruz-fbi-report-authorities

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on February 16, 2018, 04:05:38 PM

Well, you could follow up on a "tip that Nikolas Cruz owned guns, wanted to kill people, and could be a future school shooter."

What could you charge him with?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on February 16, 2018, 04:54:36 PM
Quote from: ulmont on February 16, 2018, 04:05:38 PM

What could you charge him with?

What would a terrorist be charged with in the same situation?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Malthus on February 16, 2018, 09:47:23 AM
We never had lockdown drills when I was a kid. Only fire drills.

Lots of things were different. It was just a more innocent or more naïve time - I once brought a crossbow in to grade 6 for show-and-tell; the teachers loved it, and the whole class trooped out to the yard for an officially encouraged shooting demo. Nowadays, a kid doing that would probably end up in handcuffs.  :lol:

We never had any lockdown drills, and it's probably a good thing we didn't.  We would have probably rioted.

Lockdowns are a stupid idea anyway.  "Let's keep the students and teachers trapped in the building with the gunman instead of letting them run away from him".  Just fucking brilliant.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 16, 2018, 05:10:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 16, 2018, 09:47:23 AM
We never had lockdown drills when I was a kid. Only fire drills.

Lots of things were different. It was just a more innocent or more naïve time - I once brought a crossbow in to grade 6 for show-and-tell; the teachers loved it, and the whole class trooped out to the yard for an officially encouraged shooting demo. Nowadays, a kid doing that would probably end up in handcuffs.  :lol:

We never had any lockdown drills, and it's probably a good thing we didn't.  We would have probably rioted.

Lockdowns are a stupid idea anyway.  "Let's keep the students and teachers trapped in the building with the gunman instead of letting them run away from him".  Just fucking brilliant.
Do you know they're a stupid idea, or do you think they are?

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2018, 05:04:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 16, 2018, 05:00:04 PM
What would a terrorist be charged with in the same situation?

Nothing.

Surely a terrorist would be charged with whatever crime he committed that had made him a terrorist, unless he'd already been tried for it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on February 16, 2018, 06:09:11 PM
Surely a terrorist would be charged with whatever crime he committed that had made him a terrorist, unless he'd already been tried for it.

mongers asked about the same situation.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2018, 06:12:43 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 16, 2018, 06:09:11 PM

mongers asked about the same situation.

Yes?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

The problems is that making it's really hard to convict someone for simply "wanting" to commit a crime.  They tend to need to make a specific threat or take some sort of concrete step, or plan something with another person.