Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Interesting decision in Oregon upholding the state's ban on large capacity magazines - including an interesting use of history in reaching the conclusion that the ban was lawful and did not infringe on the 2nd Amendment.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ord.170381/gov.uscourts.ord.170381.252.0.pdf
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on June 21, 2023, 03:18:31 AMFor a while I've been thinking about the role Hollywood has played in this. Lots of 80's and 90's movies about the lone, well armed, dude being hunted by "the Government" and using violence to defend himself. "Enemy of the State" and the like.

Since a lot of people get their world view from entertainment that shit must have had an effect on peoples distrust of government and in extension their views on gun control.

We need a wave of films showing a more realistic version - humanised government agent and their team track down and stops well armed mentally unstable nutter.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 23, 2023, 08:25:24 PMInteresting decision in Oregon upholding the state's ban on large capacity magazines - including an interesting use of history in reaching the conclusion that the ban was lawful and did not infringe on the 2nd Amendment.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ord.170381/gov.uscourts.ord.170381.252.0.pdf

Interesting history of firearms and firearm technological development.

And shocking that the husband of the Plaintiff was permitted to give admissible expert testimony, even if it was given little weight.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.