Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I wonder if all those people who insisted Sandy Hook was done by Obama (clarification: there was no massacre at Sandy Hook and Obama invented it is the story) are still on that after all of this. Or maybe they just say Trump is in on it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Based on my discussions at the Regal Beagle I think gun nuts are edging to the position that something needs to be done to keep guns away from nutters.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 15, 2018, 04:15:19 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2018, 08:54:09 AM
If widespread, unrestrained gun ownership makes people safer from their own government, there is very little evidence in the US situation for it.

Top 10 countries in guns per capita:
USA, Serbia, Yemen, Cyprus, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Uruguay, Norway, France, Canada.

Not sure what inference can be drawn from this.  It certainly doesn't make the case that gun ownership is a good hedge against government oppression. 

Incidentally North Korea and Japan happen to have the same exact level of gun ownership.

There is also this: not all guns ownership laws allow for the same things: in Canada, for example, long gun ownership (shotguns and rifles) is widespread, outside of major cities - but they are usually intended for hunting or target shooting; they are typically not the rapid-fire weapons used to kill people in large numbers, or the handguns used for self-defense (or murder); both are illegal here.

Quality as well as quantity is very significant, as is cultural expectations.

I myself have access to guns, I've even trained my young son in target-shooting and gun safety - but with a single-shot bolt action .22. Not the weapon likely to be useful in shooting up a school.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2018, 08:54:09 AM
If widespread, unrestrained gun ownership makes people safer from their own government, there is very little evidence in the US situation for it.

Top 10 countries in guns per capita:

USA (edging toward CW?),
Serbia (Had recent CW),
Yemen (In a CW),
Cyprus (Had CW and invasion <50 yrs),
Saudi Arabia (Exports CWs to keep populous happy),
Iraq (Had recent CW, recent Invasion, current insurgency),
Uruguay (minor urban revolt <50yrs),
Norway (Hunting, fishing, shooting paradise),
France (Had threat of CW <50 yrs, disastrous colonials 55-70 yrs ago),
Canada. (Hunting, fishing, shooting paradise, smugger version thereof)

Not sure what inference can be drawn from this.  It certainly doesn't make the case that gun ownership is a good hedge against government oppression. 

Incidentally North Korea and Japan happen to have the same exact level of gun ownership.

I annotated your post.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2018, 04:30:17 PM
I wonder if all those people who insisted Sandy Hook was done by Obama (clarification: there was no massacre at Sandy Hook and Obama invented it is the story) are still on that after all of this. Or maybe they just say Trump is in on it.

Nope.  It was a Dreamer-Muslim-Antifa thing.  I didn't make that up.  That was an actual claim being made.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2018, 09:41:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2018, 04:30:17 PM

Nope.  It was a Dreamer-Muslim-Antifa thing.  I didn't make that up.  That was an actual claim being made.

Wasn't a similar narrative pushed by that regard at InfoWars?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zoupa

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 14, 2018, 09:16:21 PM
That's not to say the US and Chinese systems are the only options, but... It does seem like Euros are more deferential to their governments and more amenable to restrictions on their liberty than we are.

:D
Well that was a good one.

crazy canuck

Not sure what inference can be drawn from this. 

It is possible to have gun ownership without a high incidence of deaths caused by guns if gun ownership is appropriately regulated while high levels of gun ownership without appropriate regulation creates the opposite result.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2018, 04:24:19 PM
I don't remember doing lockdown drills as a kid.

Every month now in the public school system, mandatory throughout the state.  Because, you know, freedom.
Welcome to America!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2018, 04:24:19 PM
I was going to the dr's office this morning, so I took my kids to school.  On Thursdays my wife usually stays a few minutes to read with Timothy, so I did that.  I heard the school announcements.  They were doing a school lockdown drill.  Not a fire drill, where everyone files out of the building, but a lockdown drill, where everyone gets locked in their rooms.

I don't remember doing lockdown drills as a kid.

I did it as a teen. Code Black and Orange.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

We never had lockdown drills when I was a kid. Only fire drills.

Lots of things were different. It was just a more innocent or more naïve time - I once brought a crossbow in to grade 6 for show-and-tell; the teachers loved it, and the whole class trooped out to the yard for an officially encouraged shooting demo. Nowadays, a kid doing that would probably end up in handcuffs.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on February 16, 2018, 09:47:23 AM
We never had lockdown drills when I was a kid. Only fire drills.

Lots of things were different. It was just a more innocent or more naïve time - I once brought a crossbow in to grade 6 for show-and-tell; the teachers loved it, and the whole class trooped out to the yard for an officially encouraged shooting demo. Nowadays, a kid doing that would probably end up in handcuffs.  :lol:

The safety concerns we had when I was in elementary school was fire and what to do in case of a nuclear attack.  As a recall the answer to both was to form a line and calmly walk out to of the school to the playing field. :D

Grey Fox

Never had active shooter lockdown drills in School.

Our 1st one at work is planned for when springs return.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Never had a lockdown drill.  Going to school on Vancouver Island the drills we did were fire, earthquake and I remember some volcano related activities after Mount St. Helens went off.