Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2018, 06:08:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 14, 2018, 05:57:46 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 14, 2018, 05:25:50 PM
Still leaves the question, why necro an old thread which got no traction instead of creating a new one.

Classic Languish, focus on the procedural niceties / conventions, rather than the issue at hand.  ;)

A megathread isn't much with just two incidents posted about.

The original thread served it's purpose, to say school shootings could almost be thought of as common, guess what in the intervening period they have indeed become routine.

It's not my fault you guys have become normalised to these outrages. Or that most couldn't be bothered to post about them, so a bit weak to expect foreigners to post about them, no?

To be frank, when I now hear about these commonplace massacres, my feeling tends to be "thank god I don't live in that fucked up country"

I have posted about some of the mass murders in the gun thread, but wasn't sure that was the appropriate place, given the responsible behaviour shown in it by the likes of 11B4V.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

You know, I'll respect gun enthusiasts if their argument was "freedoms come with costs, freedom to own guns with few restrictions are worth the human toll of additional homicides and successful spontaneous suicides".  I may agree or disagree with it, I'm not sure myself on the answer, but it's an honest argument.  There are other freedoms that come with a death toll, and we're fine with that.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" or the various more modern derivatives of that same tripe?  Just STFU.  You're either stupid, brainwashed, or a liar, if you think that is a logical or relevant argument.  People with guns kill people far more effectively, that is the fucking problem people have with guns.

Monoriu

Frankly, I've stopped caring about these shootings.  These things are bound to happen as long as the US continues its highly unusual and unreasonable stance on guns.  Wake me up when the regulations change, and I don't expect that to happen any time soon. 

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 14, 2018, 06:17:27 PM
Still leaves the question, why necro an old thread which got no traction instead of creating a new one.

Classic Languish, focus on the procedural niceties / conventions, rather than the issue at hand.  ;)

The original thread served it's purpose, to say school shootings could almost be thought of as common, guess what in the intervening period they have indeed become routine.

It's not my fault you guys have become normalised to these outrages. Or that most couldn't be bothered to post about them, so a bit weak to expect foreigners to post about them, no?

To be frank, when I now hear about these commonplace massacres, my feeling tends to be "thank god I don't live in that fucked up country"

I have posted about some of the mass murders in the gun thread, but wasn't sure that was the appropriate place, given the responsible behaviour shown in it by the likes of 11B4V.

Fascinating
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2018, 07:48:45 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 14, 2018, 06:17:27 PM

Fascinating

Nice to see you back on form.  ;)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on February 14, 2018, 07:43:34 PM
Frankly, I've stopped caring about these shootings.  These things are bound to happen as long as the US continues its highly unusual and unreasonable stance on guns.  Wake me up when the regulations change, and I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

One of the positive aspects of our unusual and unreasonable stance is that since the government doesn't have a monopoly, we're not as cowed by it as people in more reasonable countries.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Do you actually believe that, or it is just prompted by jingoism?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

The gun people won. I am basically in the same boat you are at this point. Of course even if regulations did change it would take decades before it would have much of an impact.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Classic meaningless boilerplate BS from a politician:

Just finished update from fed authorities on #FloridaSchoolShooting. It is clear attack was designed & executed to maximize loss of life
— Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) February 15, 2018

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2018, 08:12:23 PM
The gun people won. I am basically in the same boat you are at this point. Of course even if regulations did change it would take decades before it would have much of an impact.

This is why periodic reminders that this is not normal, nor inevitable, but the result of deliberate political choices, are salutary.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on February 14, 2018, 08:14:46 PM
Classic meaningless boilerplate BS from a politician:

Just finished update from fed authorities on #FloridaSchoolShooting. It is clear attack was designed & executed to maximize loss of life
— Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) February 15, 2018

'Designed and executed'? He makes it sound like a terrorist attack by some criminal network not just some asshole.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 14, 2018, 08:00:03 PM

One of the positive aspects of our unusual and unreasonable stance is that since the government doesn't have a monopoly, we're not as cowed by it as people in more reasonable countries.

Is that really how it works?  Even if I own a gun, I can't imagine I can defy the government in any meaningful way.  I'll still have to obey the law, pay my taxes, etc.  They are the government.  They have professionally trained and organised police and soldiers.  They have nuclear weapons, fighter jets, tanks, armoured personnel carriers, machine guns, missiles, etc.  My chances against them are still zero, regardless of how many AK47s I own. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on February 14, 2018, 08:21:18 PM
Is that really how it works?  Even if I own a gun, I can't imagine I can defy the government in any meaningful way.  I'll still have to obey the law, pay my taxes, etc.  They are the government.  They have professionally trained and organised police and soldiers.  They have nuclear weapons, fighter jets, tanks, armoured personnel carriers, machine guns, missiles, etc.  My chances against them are still zero, regardless of how many AK47s I own. 

Even if I did have a fighting chance I don't know if I have what it takes to gun down cops and I doubt most of the gun crowd does either. But I don't think that was what Eddie was referring to.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 14, 2018, 08:10:39 PM
Do you actually believe that, or it is just prompted by jingoism?

If it's jingoistic to prefer the US system to the Chinese, then count me in, by jingo!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?