UK arrests Tibetan pair for waving flag at Xi Jinping motorcade

Started by jimmy olsen, October 23, 2015, 08:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2015, 01:20:43 AM
I love England, but this hating freedom stuff is one of the British things I find offputting.

I have to say that I used to be a complete anglophile, but over last years my sympathies for Britain (and England in particular) have substantially abated. Perhaps it's the case of too high expectations but it seems to me that their ruling elites are even more corrupt than the ones in, say, France and Germany (or the US) in a way that is quite difficult to verbalise. The Brits used to embody the best of two worlds of Euro-Atlanticism - they seem to have since moved to embody the worst qualities of Europe and America.

Martinus

It also seems to me that, compared to the US or France, for example, the UK really does not seem to have an ideal it aspires to, or an idea of what it wants to be. There is no "Shining City on the Hill", no "Enlightened Republic" concept there. It ends up being a service platform (staffed by its increasingly pauperised indigenous populace) for all kinds of scum of the world, from Russian oligarchs, to Saudi princes to Chinese apparatchiks.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Monoriu on October 24, 2015, 01:55:36 AM
I love England, but this hating freedom stuff is one of the British things I find offputting.

London is an extremely lovely place.  Fresh air, blue skies, excellent food, friendly people.  This piece of news has not affected my impression of the UK in the slightest  :bowler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8awVJ619gtI

Fresh air, blue skies and excellent food (imported I guess) in London? Is Hong Kong really that bad to make you love London this way? Nothing against London, it just makes me think of an even more expensive Paris.

On the other hand, is it really surprising from a nation of shopkeepers?  :frog:

Monoriu

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 24, 2015, 06:57:42 AM

London is an extremely lovely place.  Fresh air, blue skies, excellent food, friendly people.  This piece of news has not affected my impression of the UK in the slightest  :bowler:

Fresh air, blue skies and excellent food (imported I guess) in London? Is Hong Kong really that bad to make you love London this way? Nothing against London, it just makes me think of an even more expensive Paris.

On the other hand, is it really surprising from a nation of shopkeepers?  :frog:

Paris may have even better food but the problem is they switch to hostile mode if they don't hear French coming from my mouth  :lol:

Monoriu

I just think that sometimes the Brits are a little too critical of their own government for every little mistake.  I think they should treat their civil servants and politicians with more forgiveness, sympathy, kindness and love :wub:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Monoriu on October 24, 2015, 08:19:51 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 24, 2015, 06:57:42 AM

Paris may have even better food but the problem is they switch to hostile mode if they don't hear French coming from my mouth  :lol:

Speciality in Paris would be ignoring, not being hostile.  :contract: :frog: