What is the best known music piece by the least known composer?

Started by Martinus, October 19, 2015, 09:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Oh, and because this is bugging me, you can pretty up your links with the insert hyperlink (the world with the file in front of it).  Just put the text between the open/close tags and the url inside the open tag:

[ url = http:/ /youtube.com ] My Link [ / url ]

Just remove spaces.

mongers

The 'Capriol Suite' by Warlock seems well know for something from a tragically short lived composer, sad but interesting life story, though his proper name escapes me at the moment.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2015, 03:23:41 PM
Fucik is a great pick though. It's also a quintessential Austro-Hungarian military march as written by a Czech guy.

Sounds like circus music to me.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Larch on October 19, 2015, 03:57:21 PM
Has "In the hall of the mountain king" by Grieg been mentioned already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIYT-MrVaI

Selections from his Peer Gynt suite are pretty strong contenders, too, especially "Morning."

Actually, any composer whose work was used in Looney Tunes would count.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

Grieg is another who is not a contender because the Nc variable is too high.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 19, 2015, 01:08:38 PM
Tomita's cover of Debussy's Arabesque no.1 was the theme for a rather peculiar kids show in Spain when I was very young, it's one of those songs that a whole generation has seared in their brains and probably don't know the name or author.

Planeta Imaginario  :wub:

And yeah, I didn't know the name or the author.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 20, 2015, 08:22:18 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 19, 2015, 01:08:38 PM
Tomita's cover of Debussy's Arabesque no.1 was the theme for a rather peculiar kids show in Spain when I was very young, it's one of those songs that a whole generation has seared in their brains and probably don't know the name or author.

Planeta Imaginario  :wub:

And yeah, I didn't know the name or the author.

That was one trippy show.  :lol: Spanish 80s kid television programming must have been ran on acid, for that and La bola de cristal to be their main shows.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2015, 04:34:42 PM

Yeah, I thought so too.

I guess we should clarify that this is not about "a known piece by a known composer where people do not know the connection" - but "a known piece but an unknown composer".

Liep

Question: Is this piece known outside of Denmark? Champagne Galop. If so I think it would qualify.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2015, 10:00:35 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2015, 04:34:42 PM

Yeah, I thought so too.

I guess we should clarify that this is not about "a known piece by a known composer where people do not know the connection" - but "a known piece but an unknown composer".

If the composer is unknown then the ratio is undefined.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I don't think there is a single composer whose name is not known by at least one person - so you are always at least dividing by 1.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2015, 11:44:53 AM
I don't think there is a single composer whose name is not known by at least one person - so you are always at least dividing by 1.

An interesting claim. Let me just delete all my traditional music.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.