News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer geeks, I need your help

Started by DGuller, June 25, 2009, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

And I'd like to hijack my own thread to point out that I'll get my Windows 7 upgrade for free.  That is if I manage to find a replacement for the desktop I had in sights for a while, and which suddenly isn't available anymore.  :ultra:

Alatriste

I'm going to hijack this thread to point out that new operating systems when released shoud be systematic, shoud be operative, and should be new.

Yeah, I'm embittered. Blame Vista.

Monoriu

When I first heard of Microsoft, I thought it was the perfect candidate to take over the world. 

Alatriste

Quote from: Monoriu on June 26, 2009, 02:45:26 AM
When I first heard of Microsoft, I thought it was the perfect candidate to take over the world.

So true... eat your heart out, Skynet! Who needs nuclear Armageddon and terminator robots when you can kill every PC, every commmunications network, every factory, every traffic light, every phone all over the world just pushing one button?

Brazen

It heard you were dumping it for a younger model and committed suicide :(

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2009, 12:05:48 AM
[I'll hijack your hijack and point out that I'm going to buy Snow Leopard (aka OS X 10.6) for $29 in September. :yeah:

Thats right - a month sooner and almost half the cost of your pre-order. :yeah:

:yawn: I forgot how willing you Mactards are to pay for service packs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Alatriste on June 26, 2009, 02:34:42 AM
I'm going to hijack this thread to point out that new operating systems when released shoud be systematic, shoud be operative, and should be new.

Yeah, I'm embittered. Blame Vista.

The Win7 release candidate runs like a champ.  Hell, the beta ran great on an outdated, low spec machine.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2009, 09:09:51 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2009, 12:05:48 AM
[I'll hijack your hijack and point out that I'm going to buy Snow Leopard (aka OS X 10.6) for $29 in September. :yeah:

Thats right - a month sooner and almost half the cost of your pre-order. :yeah:

:yawn: I forgot how willing you Mactards are to pay for service packs.

:rolleyes:

The exact same complaint could be made about Win 7, which is just an incremental upgrade over Vista.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2009, 01:00:08 PM
The exact same complaint could be made about Win 7, which is just an incremental upgrade over Vista.

You obviously haven't used Win7 :contract:

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2009, 01:49:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2009, 01:00:08 PM

You obviously haven't used Win7 :contract:

You really want to play this game?

Okay then...

You obviously haven't used Snow Leopard.  Or regular Leopard for that matter.

On the other hand while I haven't used Win 7, I have read about it.  It has gotten decent press, but everything I've raid has said it is nothing but an incremental upgrade on Vista - it's just an optimized Vista.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  I'll consider getting Win 7, for either my Mac Pro or my POS Dell laptop (I'm hoping that next year, when it's 3 years old, I can justify getting a MacBook), because of those generally positive reviews and because I like playing around with OSes.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2009, 01:56:41 PM

I have used Leopard, yes.  Have you used Snow Leopard?  :huh:

Anywho, it doesn't take a genius to figure than upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6 is a bit less momentous than installing a brand new OS.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2009, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2009, 01:56:41 PM

I have used Leopard, yes.  Have you used Snow Leopard?  :huh:

Anywho, it doesn't take a genius to figure than upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6 is a bit less momentous than installing a brand new OS.

And no, I haven't used Snow Leopard.  But neither have you.

That's just Apple's nomenclature.  They really like the name OS X so each upgrade since then has been a point upgrade, but the changes between 10.0 to 10.6 have been enormous.  For starters they've transitioned entirely from PPC to Intel chips.  I didn't use the older versions of OS X, but from screen shots they look entirely different.

Besides, apparently the kernel for Win 7 is actually only version 6.1 - sounds like an upgrade to me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2009, 02:16:50 PM
And no, I haven't used Snow Leopard. 

Then hush until you have a chance to compare the two :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2009, 02:40:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2009, 02:16:50 PM
And no, I haven't used Snow Leopard. 

Then hush until you have a chance to compare the two :P

Problem is, he can't. Steve Jobs needs the cash to pay for his new liver.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive