News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lovecraft & the Crusades

Started by Syt, November 23, 2015, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

:lol:

(The text is a decent approximation of late medieval to 16th century German.)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9Bxoy

"Attack on a horrible thing that fell from the heavens. With much striking and piercing it is killed" (Hauen und Stechen is a German term for violent conflict that comes from Middle Ages)

"From the Dead Sea rises the monster to claim the defenseless maiden. Their offspring are horrific."

"The Saracens strike bravely at the horrible dragon brood. Many limbs and heads are smashed before it lies dead in the sand."

"With thunder and lightning the towering monster emerges from the bright wreath of light. With much striking it is chased away."

"Not sword nor spear pierce the monster, but fire and pitch bring the monstrosity down. Tekeli-li the monster cries as it's consumed by flame."

"Much knowledge is promised by the book of the mad Abdul Alhazred for Greek, Saracen, and Jew. But instead much terror and fear comes for the three learned men from the flying devils."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hamilcar

Habbaku

I do enjoy the accuracy of the heraldry.  Even soldiers from the County of Tripoli took part, apparently.  :D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on November 23, 2015, 12:56:23 PM
I do enjoy the accuracy of the heraldry.  Even soldiers from the County of Tripoli took part, apparently.  :D

The guy usually does fantasy maps. He's a regular contributor to Pro Fantasy's Annuals. He's also on Cartogapher's Guild as Sapiento. You can check some of his stuff here: http://www.fantasy-map.net/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

given the occasional interest for all things lovecraftian here: "That Which Sleeps". Might be of interest to some here.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

I like how the Jew is even wearing his medieval Jew hat. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on November 23, 2015, 09:35:26 PM
I like how the Jew is even wearing his medieval Jew hat. :cool:

Is that the one that looks like a French tickler?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points