EMP: : One Day We Will Wake Up Without Electricity And Society Will Collapse

Started by jimmy olsen, October 18, 2015, 08:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2015, 12:34:58 PM
The Tea Party in Texas was driving hard last legislative session for us to blow billions trying to protect our power infrastructure from EMP attack :bleeding:  :lol:

Fruitcakes.

Why is it crazy? Even if no one attacks us we will eventually be hit with a major solar event that will cause the same kind of damage. Sounds like the only sane legislation the Tea Party has pushed for.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Alcibiades

I've heard a lot of concern over this threat the past few years, what exactly makes it "stupid" or "unfeasible"?  :unsure:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 18, 2015, 06:42:38 PM
I've heard a lot of concern over this threat the past few years, what exactly makes it "stupid" or "unfeasible"?  :unsure:

I don't think civilization would collapse because the electricity stopped working for a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 18, 2015, 09:32:30 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2015, 09:29:22 AM
Dumbest Timmay-linked article ever?  Probably, unless he has seriously cited some Jesus-rose-dinosaurs article.

At least he put a :tinfoil: smilie. Siege wouldn't.

My comment may have been more meme-related than serious.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grinning_Colossus

A big solar flare sounds almost worth the $2 trillion price tag:

QuoteOn September 1–2, 1859, one of the largest recorded geomagnetic storms (as recorded by ground-based magnetometers) occurred. Aurorae were seen around the world, those in the northern hemisphere as far south as the Caribbean; those over the Rocky Mountains in the US were so bright that their glow awoke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning. People in the northeastern US could read a newspaper by the aurora's light.The aurora was visible as far from the poles as Sub-Saharan Africa (Senegal, Mauritania, perhaps Monrovia, Liberia), Monterrey and Tampico in Mexico, Queensland, Cuba and Hawaii.

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases giving telegraph operators electric shocks.Telegraph pylons threw sparks. Some telegraph operators could continue to send and receive messages despite having disconnected their power supplies.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

The only "attack" that could affect such large areas would be a very, very rare (couple of times a decade, but in all directions) solar flare, and we would have plenty of time to shut down the grid before it hit.  Even nukes in the upper atmosphere, or EMP weapons, affect only relatively small areas, because they don't last that long (and thus don't build up charges except at close ranges).  Lightning produces EMP but only for very brief periods and thus is even shorter-ranged.

It makes sense to protect high-voltage power transmission lines against EMP, since they are common and, due to their length, most susceptible to EMP from lightening and the like.  Other than that, the payoff for protection falls off quickly. Buy a surge protector, but don't worry about trying to be among the ten percent of humans still alive in two years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 18, 2015, 07:13:08 PM
A big solar flare sounds almost worth the $2 trillion price tag:

QuoteOn September 1–2, 1859, one of the largest recorded geomagnetic storms (as recorded by ground-based magnetometers) occurred. Aurorae were seen around the world, those in the northern hemisphere as far south as the Caribbean; those over the Rocky Mountains in the US were so bright that their glow awoke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning. People in the northeastern US could read a newspaper by the aurora's light.The aurora was visible as far from the poles as Sub-Saharan Africa (Senegal, Mauritania, perhaps Monrovia, Liberia), Monterrey and Tampico in Mexico, Queensland, Cuba and Hawaii.

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases giving telegraph operators electric shocks.Telegraph pylons threw sparks. Some telegraph operators could continue to send and receive messages despite having disconnected their power supplies.

Or you could, you know, turn things off before it arrives.

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 18, 2015, 04:46:47 PM
The Tea Party in Texas was driving hard last legislative session for us to blow billions trying to protect our power infrastructure from EMP attack :bleeding:  :lol:

Fruitcakes.

Why is it crazy? Even if no one attacks us we will eventually be hit with a major solar event that will cause the same kind of damage. Sounds like the only sane legislation the Tea Party has pushed for.

We are the State of Texas. We do not have billions to spend on stuff like this and this is the same group who constantly battles every tiny bit of government spending on badly needed things. Oh but lets blow all of our money protecting us against terrorist attacks.

But come on now. You are quoting some conspiracy theory website quoting John McAfee, a known paranoid nutcase. So...yeah not think sanity is the big deal here. I suspect Obama and the non-Tea Partiers are not scrambling to spend billions protecting everything is because they probably are getting advised by people who are not paranoid nutcases doing their research on conspiracy websites.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2015, 07:58:57 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 18, 2015, 04:46:47 PM

Fruitcakes.

We are the State of Texas. We do not have billions to spend on stuff like this and this is the same group who constantly battles every tiny bit of government spending on badly needed things. Oh but lets blow all of our money protecting us against terrorist attacks.

But come on now. You are quoting some conspiracy theory website quoting John McAfee, a known paranoid nutcase. So...yeah not think sanity is the big deal here. I suspect Obama and the non-Tea Partiers are not scrambling to spend billions protecting everything is because they probably are getting advised by people who are not paranoid nutcases doing their research on conspiracy websites.

He quoted numerous non-nutcase sources -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on October 18, 2015, 10:22:37 PM
We could fall back on steam power and form steampunk societies.

Too many people needing too much juice.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Alcibiades

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2015, 07:23:21 PM

The only "attack" that could affect such large areas would be a very, very rare (couple of times a decade, but in all directions) solar flare, and we would have plenty of time to shut down the grid before it hit.  Even nukes in the upper atmosphere, or EMP weapons, affect only relatively small areas, because they don't last that long (and thus don't build up charges except at close ranges).  Lightning produces EMP but only for very brief periods and thus is even shorter-ranged.

It makes sense to protect high-voltage power transmission lines against EMP, since they are common and, due to their length, most susceptible to EMP from lightening and the like.  Other than that, the payoff for protection falls off quickly. Buy a surge protector, but don't worry about trying to be among the ten percent of humans still alive in two years.

The "threat" i always see used is an enemy detonating several nukes in the atmosphere above the US wiping out everything.

The book One Second After is a pretty interesting fictional novel on what could happen.  In the book everything electronic gets fried so nothing works, cars, public works, etc.  Food doesn't get delivered and people start to starve, 50% of the American people on meds die, all the old people die, all the fat people die from heart attacks/high cholesterol, Roving criminals start taking what they want without law enforcement to stop them, etc. Was interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765356864
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Admiral Yi