News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

One weird star...

Started by Berkut, October 15, 2015, 12:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2015, 04:28:34 PM
They have in fact looked around and found a star that might have done the deed.

And I don't really much care to meet your lefty standards for thread creation on Languish. Like...ever.

Yes, I saw that at Slate.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/10/14/weird_star_strange_dips_in_brightness_are_a_bit_baffling.html

The last idea the astronomers looked at was a series of comets orbiting the star. These could be surrounded by clouds of gas and other material that could produce the dips seen. The lack of IR is puzzling in that case, but not too damning. If another star happened to pass nearby, then its gravity could disturb the first star's Oort cloud, the region billions of kilometers out where we think most (if not all) stars have billions of icy objects. This disturbance could send these ice chunks flying down toward the star, where they could break up, creating all those weird dips—ices in them would heat up, blow off as a gas, and could explain the odd shapes of the dips detected, too.

And, as it happens, there is another star pretty close to KIC 8462852; a small red dwarf about 130 billion kilometers out. That's close enough to affect the Oort cloud.

This doesn't close the case, though. Comets are a good guess, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where they could completely block 22 percent of the light from a star; that's a huge amount. Really huge.

Are my thread creation standards leftist? :unsure:

What makes a thread creation standards leftist, or centrist or rightist for that matter?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

It seems to me that Berkut has recently been more nasty.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 15, 2015, 04:35:58 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2015, 04:28:34 PM
They have in fact looked around and found a star that might have done the deed.

And I don't really much care to meet your lefty standards for thread creation on Languish. Like...ever.

Yes, I saw that at Slate.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/10/14/weird_star_strange_dips_in_brightness_are_a_bit_baffling.html

The last idea the astronomers looked at was a series of comets orbiting the star. These could be surrounded by clouds of gas and other material that could produce the dips seen. The lack of IR is puzzling in that case, but not too damning. If another star happened to pass nearby, then its gravity could disturb the first star's Oort cloud, the region billions of kilometers out where we think most (if not all) stars have billions of icy objects. This disturbance could send these ice chunks flying down toward the star, where they could break up, creating all those weird dips—ices in them would heat up, blow off as a gas, and could explain the odd shapes of the dips detected, too.

And, as it happens, there is another star pretty close to KIC 8462852; a small red dwarf about 130 billion kilometers out. That's close enough to affect the Oort cloud.

This doesn't close the case, though. Comets are a good guess, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where they could completely block 22 percent of the light from a star; that's a huge amount. Really huge.

What makes a thread creation standards leftist, or centrist or rightist for that matter?  :huh:

How would they go about trying to calculate the direction of this star's movement? (is it possible?)
Considering the distances involved I doubt they can just sit and watch....
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2015, 04:28:34 PMAnd I don't really much care to meet your lefty standards for thread creation on Languish. Like...ever.

:lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on October 15, 2015, 04:44:18 PM
It seems to me that Berkut has recently been more nasty.

Marti.  It was a joke. 

Tonitrus

Quote from: PRC on October 15, 2015, 01:39:56 PM
More of a Dyson Swarm.

Maybe it's still under construction.   :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2015, 04:46:51 PM

How would they go about trying to calculate the direction of this star's movement? (is it possible?)
Considering the distances involved I doubt they can just sit and watch....

Sitting and watching is pretty much all they can do.  Whatever events are happening near this star they happened quite a while ago.  Belasarius was still working for Justinian when whatever we are looking at occurred.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Warspite

I wonder if there was some sort of conversation along these lines:

"Hi, this is Andy from the press office. Really excited about this paper. We can do something big with this. It will make a splash."
"That's great! When can we see the press release?"
"Yeah so about that. Like I said, I think we can do something with the research paper, but it just needs one little ingredient...
"Go on."
"How comfortable are you with mentioning aliens?"
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Monoriu

Are they seriously suggesting that something like this is going on? 

Syt

So is this the modern equivalent of the Mars Canals?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2015, 02:10:12 PM
Quote from: frunk on October 15, 2015, 01:16:49 PM
The other possibility, which isn't really discussed in the article, is new physics.  It could be our understanding of the evolution of that particular star system is incomplete and there's something different going on.

Possible, but it seems rather unlikely in that if that is the case, why is this the only star where we see this behavior?
Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare that seeing is believing!
PDH!

Brazen

Berkut

That was meant to say "hefty" standards.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on October 16, 2015, 08:28:50 AM

That was meant to say "hefty" standards.

I was wondering about that, so the typo was part of the joke?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

This explanation deserves its own thread.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?