Seymour Hersh Taints His Legacy With Ludicrous Claims Over Bin Laden Killing

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2015, 01:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Perhaps he should have put the conclusion at the beginning, and then explained how he got there then.  It's a new paper article not a novel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I was amused that the author and Hersh seemed to think it was impossible for two helicopters to fly into Pakistan unnoticed.  In the 1980's a guy flew a civilian airplane from Finland to Moscow and landed in Red Square without the Soviet military challenging him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

That was 1980 with a small airplane.  Now it's two helos coming from a place Pakistan has radar turned to.
Of course, it's entirely possible they missed it, I'm not an expert in these things.  But that would surprise me if today's Pakistan was unable to see two Black Hawks entering its territory.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2015, 09:37:02 PM
That was 1980 with a small airplane.  Now it's two helos coming from a place Pakistan has radar turned to.
Of course, it's entirely possible they missed it, I'm not an expert in these things.  But that would surprise me if today's Pakistan was unable to see two Black Hawks entering its territory.

Pakistan barely rules the land outside of its capital.  It would not surprise me if they missed an entire air fleet.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2015, 09:37:02 PM

Planes are relatively easy to spot because not many other big objects in the sky are going to be screaming along at 100+ mph.  On the other hand, a helicopter can go slower to the point of hovering, so who's to say the radar blip is caused by one helo and not a large flock of birds?

Also, helicopters can hug the ground much lower than a plane much more safely.  Radar can only do so much at or near ground level with all the natural and man-made obstructions blocking or redirecting the radio signal, and Pakistan is quite uneven terrain, so I'm betting the helos weren't even appearing on radar for much of their flight time.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Admiral Yi

Yeah Veep, if they've developed radar that can detect helicopters flying nap of the earth I've never heard about it.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2015, 12:16:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2015, 07:19:53 PM
TL; only read half.
c'mon. even I managed to.  It's an interesting read.

I suspect you found this meandering piece "interesting" because you agreed with it going in, not because the author convinced you of anything.  To someone lacking the confirmation bias motive, this is not at all interesting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2015, 12:19:37 AM
There is no point but in the conclusion.  Governments don't just use silence and they don't just lie to us, they use both.  The entire piece is about that, more than any kind of conspiration theory.

That's the most trivial conclusion ever.  Every lie since forever has involved both silence about the truth and uttered falsehoods.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!