Aunt Unsuccessfully Sues 12-Year-Old Nephew for $127K After Hug Broke Wrist

Started by jimmy olsen, October 13, 2015, 06:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 13, 2015, 07:49:59 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 13, 2015, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2015, 06:34:00 PM
QuoteThe young boy, whose mother died last year, was in court with his father on Friday.

A wild guess that mom had a life insurance policy with son as a beneficiary.

Actually, that sounds entirely believable.
That sounds like something that a homeowners' policy would pay for anyway, whether you have money or not.

Yeah, that was my first thought.  An attempt to collect on the general liability policy without costing the family a dime - except maybe for increased premiums.

Malthus

QuoteA 54-year-old human resources manager from New York City unsuccessfully attempted to sue her 12-year-old nephew for jumping into her arms at a 2011 birthday party ...

This sullies the name of HR Managers everywhere.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on October 14, 2015, 09:36:13 AM
QuoteA 54-year-old human resources manager from New York City unsuccessfully attempted to sue her 12-year-old nephew for jumping into her arms at a 2011 birthday party ...

Not really. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Your comment kinda reminds me of a "true" story that Woody Hayes's wife told at a fundraiser.  She recounted how she was being interviewed in her house as part of a newspaper story on Woody's preparations for The Game.  The reporter asked whether Woody thought about anything that week other than football.  She replied that he never talked football around her, he was always talking about sex.  Woody, who was in the room, tried to interject that this was untrue, but she shushed him, saying "Be quiet, dear.  I'm improving your image."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 14, 2015, 09:38:20 AM

Not really. :P

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on October 14, 2015, 09:46:45 AM

Your comment kinda reminds me of a "true" story that Woody Hayes's wife told at a fundraiser.  She recounted how she was being interviewed in her house as part of a newspaper story on Woody's preparations for The Game.  The reporter asked whether Woody thought about anything that week other than football.  She replied that he never talked football around her, he was always talking about sex.  Woody, who was in the room, tried to interject that this was untrue, but she shushed him, saying "Be quiet, dear.  I'm improving your image."

:lol:

That's a hoot.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 13, 2015, 07:49:59 PM

That sounds like something that a homeowners' policy would pay for anyway, whether you have money or not.

As a kid, my brother was at my aunt and uncle's house in a hammock, and the hammock broke and he fell "breaking his back". In quotes because while he broke something and it sounds awful it was really not serious.

The adults (my father, aunt and uncle) realized it was a way to get money out of the homeowner's policy, and so my father sued them for damages. Everyone stayed on good terms--we kept vacationing together etc.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on October 14, 2015, 02:36:48 PM
As a kid, my brother was at my aunt and uncle's house in a hammock, and the hammock broke and he fell "breaking his back". In quotes because while he broke something and it sounds awful it was really not serious.

The adults (my father, aunt and uncle) realized it was a way to get money out of the homeowner's policy, and so my father sued them for damages. Everyone stayed on good terms--we kept vacationing together etc.

Their premiums go up?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

DontSayBanana

Heard the "aha" moment just a little bit ago.  Yes, there was homeowner's insurance involved.  Both the aunt's insurance and the other insurance said the other had to pay, and apparently in Connecticut, the homeowner's insurance couldn't be named as a defendant- she had to sue the covered party to get the judge to say, no, this isn't falling on them, so your insurance is going to have to pay up.
Experience bij!

Berkut

Translation: This is another example of sensationalist and irresponsible reporting, not an example of how crazy the aunt might be...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2015, 08:30:32 AM
Translation: This is another example of sensationalist and irresponsible reporting, not an example of how crazy the aunt might be...

Its all good to try to exploit our shitty legal system to wrongfully take $127,000 from an insurance company.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on October 15, 2015, 08:40:41 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2015, 08:30:32 AM

Its all good to try to exploit our shitty legal system to wrongfully take $127,000 from an insurance company.
:mad: