Who Will Be The Next Prime Minister Of The United Kingdom

Started by mongers, October 06, 2015, 09:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Will Succeed David Cameron As Conservative Party Leader And PM?

Boris Johnson
10 (50%)
Theresa May
0 (0%)
George Osborne
6 (30%)
Wild card - Jim Davidson / Gyles Brandreth / Any Other Loon / Jaron
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Archy

Admiral Yi

Richard Hakluyt

I think it will be Osborne unless the economy takes a significant turn for the worse.

Martinus

By the way, is it only my impression that Osborne went from being considered an Oxbridge goofball with no actual skill or talent to one of the most prominent British politicians? I remember the stories about him used to involve him mainly hobnobing on yachts and the like.

Richard Hakluyt

It was hobnobbing with Russian oligarchs, distasteful perhaps, but not irrelevant to his job.

The left like to pretend that Osborne is a lightweight incompetent, rather foolish of them imo, the country is going to look very different by 2025.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 07, 2015, 02:19:54 AM
It was hobnobbing with Russian oligarchs, distasteful perhaps, but not irrelevant to his job.

The left like to pretend that Osborne is a lightweight incompetent, rather foolish of them imo, the country is going to look very different by 2025.

Couldn't agree more. Osborne is in fact on of the few Tories with an actual vision of conservatism got the next 20 years. I disagree with him on plenty but he's a genuine heavyweight.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2015, 03:25:57 AM
imo, the country is going to look very different by 2025.
In what way?

For decades the UK has had a "mid-Atlantic" economy when it comes to social spending, we have spent more than the USA but less than our continental equivalents. Politicking aside there has been a consensus on this, perhaps a mild tendency for Labour to spend more but it has not really been worth getting excited about. Osborne plans on reducing the size of the state to a level below that in the USA, to levels last seen in the UK in the 1930s; this is not minor, it will change our way of life.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 07, 2015, 04:30:13 AM
In what way?

For decades the UK has had a "mid-Atlantic" economy when it comes to social spending, we have spent more than the USA but less than our continental equivalents. Politicking aside there has been a consensus on this, perhaps a mild tendency for Labour to spend more but it has not really been worth getting excited about. Osborne plans on reducing the size of the state to a level below that in the USA, to levels last seen in the UK in the 1930s; this is not minor, it will change our way of life.
You think he'll be successful at that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

In what way?

:w00t:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2015, 04:33:49 AM
In what way?

No idea, it is going to be very interesting seeing him try. I would urge those in the UK with decent incomes to start upping their savings, I think it is going to be a grim place for those without some capital.

Syt

People who can't afford to live in Londonland should just migrate to cheaper countries, and commute in from Bucharest or Sofia to do their menial jobs (teaching, hairdressing, policing, selling frapuccinos etc.) for those who can. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 07, 2015, 04:40:51 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2015, 04:33:49 AM
In what way?

No idea, it is going to be very interesting seeing him try. I would urge those in the UK with decent incomes to start upping their savings, I think it is going to be a grim place for those without some capital.

What about those who cannot save, with incomes enough only to live on a day-by-day basis?  :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 07, 2015, 04:58:39 AM
What about those who cannot save, with incomes only to live on day-by-day basis?  :hmm:

[Yi]They should have made better life choices and earned relevant job skills.[/Yi]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.