No more Nigger for Quebec

Started by viper37, September 25, 2015, 04:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Asia should get rid of their paddies. :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2015, 04:59:19 PM
Google translates nègre as negro. Which may be considered offensive by some, but is definitely not the "n word".
There is no distinction in French.  Nègre could be nigger or negro.  If you call someone "un ostie de nègre" that would be "a fucking nigger".  In the times of the New France and early British colonial empire it might have meant something else (there wasn't many black slaves here, we did not require a lot of them like the Southern British & Antillian French colonies, so I never really paid attention - now where is Oexmelin when we need him??), but today, a "nègre" is really the equivalent of "nigger".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2015, 04:34:10 PM
No more Nigger Lake or Nigger River in Quebec.  The Toponimy Board will change their name to something more adequate to our modern times.
French text

I was unaware we had such places named like these.  They say some had historical meaning, but la Rivière du nègre (Nigger River) was likely named as such because its water is colored, muddier than other rivers.

While I'm usually against silly name changes, I think in this case it's a good thing.  We ain't in the 19th century anymore, after all.  The n word has become pejorative over time, it's no longer neutral.

So words pejorative in toponyms are cool in thread titles?  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2015, 06:39:37 PM
Google translates nègre as negro. Which may be considered offensive by some, but is definitely not the "n word".
There is no distinction in French.  Nègre could be nigger or negro.  If you call someone "un ostie de nègre" that would be "a fucking nigger".  In the times of the New France and early British colonial empire it might have meant something else (there wasn't many black slaves here, we did not require a lot of them like the Southern British & Antillian French colonies, so I never really paid attention - now where is Oexmelin when we need him??), but today, a "nègre" is really the equivalent of "nigger".

Maybe in Québec, but the most offensive in French is definitively négro. Négre is old-fashioned, à la negro, but at the same time derogatory though it has lost some of its bite since some black intellectuals like Senghor or Aimé Césaire tried to reclaim it with, along with the négritude. I'd say avoid nègre but if you want to use a real insulting and racist word then it's négro time.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on September 25, 2015, 06:51:01 PM
So words pejorative in toponyms are cool in thread titles?  :hmm:
Only on Languish.  This our way ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 25, 2015, 09:30:35 PM

Maybe in Québec, but the most offensive in French is definitively négro. Négre is old-fashioned, à la negro, but at the same time derogatory though it has lost some of its bite since some black intellectuals like Senghor or Aimé Césaire tried to reclaim it with, along with the négritude. I'd say avoid nègre but if you want to use a real insulting and racist word then it's négro time.
Never heard anyone use the word négro here. 

Martinus

I think the point is that if the place was called "Negro Lake" and not "Nigger Lake" (in English), it may have been seen as less offensive...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2015, 12:44:44 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 25, 2015, 09:30:35 PM

Try Le Roi Heenok. :)

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roi_Heenok

Some "great" videos of him on youtube :D

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2015, 01:16:11 AM

I think the point is that if the place was called "Negro Lake" and not "Nigger Lake" (in English), it may have been seen as less offensive...
I understood the point, but the words used were both Nigger (Rocher Nigger (Rock)) and Nègre (Rivière du Nègre, Lac du Nègre).

viper37

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2015, 10:53:31 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 26, 2015, 05:52:40 AM
Try Le Roi Heenok. :)

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roi_Heenok

Some "great" videos of him on youtube :D

rap...  :bash:

A "music" genre notorious for its use of the word nigger or négro in "French" rap.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2015, 12:44:44 AM
They were too polite to say it to your face.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

In French, do they use nigger for every reference to 'black' ?

Like:

Man 1: Why are you wearing nigger colors today?
Man 2: My wife just died.

Is that a thing?
Winner of THE grumbler point.