U.S. Soldiers Told to Ignore Afghan Allies’ Abuse of Boys

Started by Syt, September 21, 2015, 04:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 21, 2015, 09:50:38 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2015, 09:44:06 AM
Who are we to judge their culture?

Don't forget one thing on this discussion:

One point is the Afghan culture

Another is the fact that the US military lets this happen inside US military bases.

And another is that the US military actively punishes US servicemen that try to do something about it.

(not to mention that this child abuse practices piss off the locals who are the victims. This probably cost the Coalition a LOT of goodwill against the Taliban)

God Damn America.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2015, 08:55:36 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2015, 08:38:14 AMI still don't get how they justify it under Islam, though.

Are you an expert on Islam?  :huh:
Do we need to be an expert on any religion to try and understand them?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

My understanding (from Iranians, admittedly  ;) ) is that Afganis are basically the hillbillies of the Islamic world.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on September 21, 2015, 12:45:03 PM
Why would they have to justify it under Islam?

The Brain makes a fair point.  These guys aren't the Taliban.  They're the guys fighting the Taliban.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2015, 12:53:29 PM
My understanding (from Iranians, admittedly  ;) ) is that Afganis are basically the hillbillies of the Islamic world.
It's not just the Afghans, it's all over central asia, including areas of Iran and Pakistan, presumably.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2015, 01:00:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 21, 2015, 12:45:03 PM
Why would they have to justify it under Islam?

The Brain makes a fair point.  These guys aren't the Taliban.  They're the guys fighting the Taliban.
It's not like they're atheist.  For most of them, their version of Islam is still pretty rigorist.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2015, 12:41:36 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2015, 08:55:36 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2015, 08:38:14 AMI still don't get how they justify it under Islam, though.

Are you an expert on Islam?  :huh:
Do we need to be an expert on any religion to try and understand them?
Well, I do not know Islam well enough to know if this can be justified under Islam easily or not. Many primitive Middle Eastern cultures have this weird thing about gay sex and pedophilia, and from that perspective abusing little boys could in fact be easily justifiable - but as I said I am not an expert on Islam so cannot pass judgement.

Josquius

The whole thing developed because of the strict cultural separation between women and men. Young boys have a lot of freedom to walk the streets and do what they want, women..don't.
I guess they probably view it in the standard primitive culture view of homosexuality- its only gay if you're taking it.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2015, 03:18:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2015, 12:53:29 PM
It's not just the Afghans, it's all over central asia, including areas of Iran and Pakistan, presumably.

Hillbillies are not specific to any one country, no.

The point, though, is that it is similar to the excesses of hillbillies elsewhere - only on a large scale, as the whole country is basically composed of hillbilly tribes. Like hillbillies everywhere, some of them deal in drugs, have violent feuds with each other, and commit sexual acts with children. Like hillbillies everywhere, these nasty habits doen't stop them from being religious.

For example, in Nova Scotia there was a big scandal about hillbillies in a small community committing incest with young kids, and it went on for a century. The "normal" folks in the nearby town knew it was happening, but turned a blind eye - yet everyone in rural Nova Scotia is Christian. How did they reconcile the two? 

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2194&dat=19860313&id=Vq8yAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qu8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=4487,1413808&hl=en
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Yeah, and kids are somehow exempt.

Incidentally, it's not the only culture where severe homophobia is linked with sexual abuse of young boys. Just look at the RCC.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2015, 11:38:56 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2015, 09:50:57 AM
Well at least Grallon found something about Muslims he likes.

That's not fair.

Indeed. I've seen no indication that G would chain up/have sex with unwilling boys.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2015, 04:31:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2015, 11:38:56 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2015, 09:50:57 AM
Well at least Grallon found something about Muslims he likes.

That's not fair.

Indeed. I've seen no indication that G would chain up/have sex with unwilling boys.

Underage boys can't consent and thus are by definition unwilling.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017