News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The man who wants to beat back aging

Started by Hamilcar, September 22, 2015, 01:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Ok, I misspoke. They'd be impossible because of entropy, though it's possible entropy would be 0 at absolute zero.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2015, 02:16:10 PM
On an evolutionary time-scale, explosive growth events like the Rabbits in Australia example would be a blip in time before some sort of equilibrium was restored (albeit maybe one in which a new species was ubiquitous). Again, it is hard to imagine something as fundamental as aging was an evolutionary response to adaptation for such events.

It depends a great deal on how frequently they occur, and if there are other adaptations that could have strengthened the value of such limitations.  Consider if there was an adaptation that significantly increased youthful fertility but caused it to decline with time.  That would further encourage the elderly to not hang around.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 24, 2015, 02:38:12 PM
Ok, I misspoke. They'd be impossible because of entropy, though it's possible entropy would be 0 at absolute zero.

True but entropy is managed by energy being added to the system, which would be the case for a non-aging organism of some sort. Besides aren't there non-aging animals out there? That immortal jellyfish. I know some trees can live for thousands of years.

And really if we figure out how to live for thousands of years that will be more than sufficient, very few would live through all the various other things that can kill us to get that old even without aging.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."