News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Unzip program?

Started by crazy canuck, June 25, 2009, 04:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Winzip trial periods can run out? :s
And who uses that these days anyway, unzipping comes as standard in xp and winzip can't handle rars and all the other weird formats out there.
██████
██████
██████

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2009, 04:32:56 PM
Is there a free program out there.  I was using winzip but the trial period ran out.
if you are on XP, use Powerdesk, the free version.  It includes a ZIP function wich is the best i've ever seen so far.

On Vista, Peazip is supposed to be a little marvel, but I personally hate it.
7-Zip might not be so bad.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Alatriste

7zip is a quite good program. Zip, rar, ace, lhz... I still have to find a compression format it doesn't cover. But 7z, its native compression format, is... peculiar, to say the least; sure, it compresses files quite more than the others, but it is incredibly slow both in compression and decompression.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2009, 12:20:21 PM
On Vista, Peazip is supposed to be a little marvel, but I personally hate it.
7-Zip might not be so bad.

I am using vista.

All I really need this for is downloading and uploading paradox files during the HOI beta.  So far I have been changing programs whenever free trial periods end which is becoming a pain.

sbr

AFAIK you can use Winzip for free as long as you are only unzipping files, you only have to pay to compress them

I use 7zip myself.