News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reproductions or original art?

Started by Martinus, September 14, 2015, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 15, 2015, 10:25:26 AM
You can get works from unknown local artists easily in the low triple digits here.

Yep. I don't think Marty was talking about hitting the auction circuit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 10:24:00 AM
I just find this thread surreal.  I mean, I know languish as a whole is rich and Martinus is super rich.  But talking about buying original art is just...in the stratosphere.  I have no idea how much art costs, but I presume lots and lots and lots of zeros are involved  :lol:

You can spend as much or as little as you want on original art.

Me personally right now I probably wouldn't spend more than $10,000 on a piece, and I'd have to really like it to spend that much.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

I've seen original works by unknown artists selling for less than some quality reproductions of famous paintings.

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 10:24:00 AM
I just find this thread surreal.  I mean, I know languish as a whole is rich and Martinus is super rich.  But talking about buying original art is just...in the stratosphere.  I have no idea how much art costs, but I presume lots and lots and lots of zeros are involved  :lol:
What others have said... original art is cheap as long as you buy it from unknowns.  We have a wall hanging thing in our bathroom that was done by an original artist and we paid nothing for it... it 'came with' our old house, and Princesca likes it so she brought it to our new house.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Come to London, Mart. I've actually seen a lot of art at affordable prices in galleries in ashore ditch and Bethnal Green.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

I've got two original art works, three reproductions and a couple of travel photos that I change every few months.
Like the others said, original art doesn't have to be expensive at all. In fact, mine were not much more expensive than the reproductions.

Monoriu

Like I said, I have no idea.  The only time I come across art prices is when the news report that somebody has spent a couple of billion in art auctions.  I don't think I have walked into an art gallery before.  I'll stick to my white walls  :)

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 04:16:37 PM
Like I said, I have no idea.  The only time I come across art prices is when the news report that somebody has spent a couple of billion in art auctions.  I don't think I have walked into an art gallery before.  I'll stick to my white walls  :)

Have you checked to see you don't live in some kind of special medical ward?

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on September 15, 2015, 04:20:18 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 04:16:37 PM

Have you checked to see you don't live in some kind of special medical ward?

:P

I have my computer if I need to look at anime pictures  :P