News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best army entrance in a movie?

Started by viper37, September 09, 2015, 08:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Never been a big fan of the Zahn books, TBH. Unpronounceable names, and stupid plot. Though he did introduce some interesting characters. Large chucks of the EU are meh or worse and I'm not unhappy to see them excised. But yeah, they'll probably take some things they like - thanks to Clone Wars some locations from Old Republic (like Ilum, or Onderon) are still canon. I'm guessing when the dust settles between movies there might be stuff that might emerge as "B canon" - parts of the old EU that don't contradict the movies and TV shows.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The Zahn books were very entertaining reads but I never felt there was a great Star Wars story being told in them. There's other EU stuff that I think it's much better.

Syt

I generally liked the stuff that focused on secondary, new or background characters. I liked the first few X-Wing books (tried to re-read them recently ... they're not as good as I remembered :lol: ), and the short story anthologies about the denizens of the Mos Eisley Cantina and Jabba's Palace. Overall hit and miss, but some stories were really neat, like Figrin D'An receiving an offer he can't refuse, or about a moisture farmer trying to make peace with the Sand People, or a Jawa trying to start an insurrection and, uhm, not doing so well.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Officialy EU is Legend.

Recent book & comics stories seem to make that the names of places & people will remain the same. The Events will change.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2015, 10:09:07 AM
I don't know if it is just grumbler but I love the LOTR movies.

I disliked some things about the movies, and more things in the later movies than earlier ones.  I guess on Languish that means that, since I didn't unconditionally like them, I must have disliked them.  Whatevs.  My opinion of the movies is unaffected by languish labels.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Quote from: viper37 on September 10, 2015, 10:01:58 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on September 09, 2015, 09:20:16 PM
I guess there goes my evening wasted on youtube, thanks a lot!  :mad:
You're welcome! :hug:

:mad: I was on youtube until past midnight.  :glare:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on September 10, 2015, 02:26:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2015, 10:09:07 AM
I don't know if it is just grumbler but I love the LOTR movies.

I disliked some things about the movies, and more things in the later movies than earlier ones.  I guess on Languish that means that, since I didn't unconditionally like them, I must have disliked them.  Whatevs.  My opinion of the movies is unaffected by languish labels.

Haters gonna hate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

For historical scale, I guess Bondarchuk's War and Peace might be unmatched. Probably helps when you have tens of thousands of soldiers at your disposal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrryfSaKLCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SVC_9V8K5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k97nvOSBDnk
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on September 10, 2015, 02:01:08 PM
I generally liked the stuff that focused on secondary, new or background characters. I liked the first few X-Wing books (tried to re-read them recently ... they're not as good as I remembered :lol: ), and the short story anthologies about the denizens of the Mos Eisley Cantina and Jabba's Palace. Overall hit and miss, but some stories were really neat, like Figrin D'An receiving an offer he can't refuse, or about a moisture farmer trying to make peace with the Sand People, or a Jawa trying to start an insurrection and, uhm, not doing so well.

I liked the Rogue Squadron series, straight adventure and decent characters that build a relationship in the front lines. I'm pleased they are making a movie about it.

My favorite EU stories, though, are by far the Old Republic stuff. I think the fact writers could forget about the movie events and shoehorning Solo/Skywalker/etc... in every book enabled them to explore the universe more freely, while keeping with the big Star Wars themes of Light vs Dark, Fall & Redemption. Both KOTOR games are excellent stories with great characters, and the Tales of the Jedi comics are pretty great too.

Martinus

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on September 10, 2015, 03:07:41 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 10, 2015, 02:01:08 PM

I liked the Rogue Squadron series, straight adventure and decent characters that build a relationship in the front lines. I'm pleased they are making a movie about it.

My favorite EU stories, though, are by far the Old Republic stuff. I think the fact writers could forget about the movie events and shoehorning Solo/Skywalker/etc... in every book enabled them to explore the universe more freely, while keeping with the big Star Wars themes of Light vs Dark, Fall & Redemption. Both KOTOR games are excellent stories with great characters, and the Tales of the Jedi comics are pretty great too.

Since you're currently playing SWTOR, check the Fatal Alliance novel if you like action adventure and if you can pick it up cheap. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2015, 03:33:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYchCMe5btI

QuoteThis video contains content from ConstantinMediakraft, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on September 10, 2015, 02:26:10 PM
I'm a very big fan of the extended editions, but I agree that as the films progressed the issues I had with them became more frequent and more annoying.  This increased even more dramatically with Jackson's The Hobbit movies.  Ugh.  So much potential wasted. :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."