Teen boy to be charged as adult for having nude photos... of himself

Started by Martinus, September 03, 2015, 02:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2015, 07:28:53 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 03, 2015, 07:25:23 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2015, 06:38:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2015, 06:32:43 AM
Presumably one has to have time/financial resources to ride a court case up that high?
Hopefully someone along the way latches on to the case and provides the legal team.  The problem is more that the current bench doesn't seem interested in doing anything about such clearly unjust laws.

There is something called prosecutorial discretion. Even if the law is drafted in a faulty way so that if read literally it would allow to charge the purported victim with a crime, prosecutor should choose not to bring charges.

Oh my god - so shocking that a lawyer, somewhere, might decide to move forwards with ridiculous charges!

I don't understand your response.  It should be shocking that a prosecutor prosecutes a "ridiculous" charge.  Especially in a country where, in their wisdom, the people have decided to elect prosecutors.  But in reality that is really the problem isn't it.

Malthus

Gotta agree with Marti on this one - assuming the OP article is accurate.

The worst twist: he's to be tried as an adult. In his state, over-16 = tried as an adult.

However, his alleged crime is sexual expoitation of a minor, namely himself. In his state, that crime is applicable to under - 18s.

So, for purposes of punishment he's an adult, but for purposes of his crime he's a minor: he's an adult who sexually exploited a minor - namely, himself.

In a further twist, because he's an adult charged with a sex crime, his name was released to the media and broadcast everywhere, ensuring his total humiliation even if the charges are tossed out (as they ought to be).

The whole thing is a weird, Kafka-esque nightmare - so awful it is almost funny. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Sex laws get just stupid for people ages 16-22. Doing sexual things with your peers, perfectly ordinary stuff, can technically be a felony if you are not super careful and vigilant. And being super careful and vigilant is something people aged 16-22 are known for.

This seems kind of 'school to prison' pipeline-ish stuff to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Oh my god - so shocking that a lawyer, somewhere, might decide to move forwards with ridiculous charges!
Um, yes, yes, it is shocking.  :huh: Did you just adopt this ridiculously idiotic position to spite Martinus?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2015, 09:21:47 AM
Um, yes, yes, it is shocking.  :huh: Did you just adopt this ridiculously idiotic position to spite Martinus?

Maybe, unlike several of you, I live in the real world where it isn't unheard of that fucked up shit like this happens. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2015, 09:46:46 AM
Maybe, unlike several of you, I live in the real world where it isn't unheard of that fucked up shit like this happens. :hmm:
So resignation is how one should deal with that?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2015, 09:47:30 AM
So resignation is how one should deal with that?

Nah, probably best to post an internet thread about how terrible said country where such has occurred must be. That'll drive change. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

While it is a self-evident truth that what we say here means less than jack and shit, that is a cop out garbon and you know it  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2015, 09:21:47 AM

Ok but in the real world when something goes wrong reasonable people don't attack the person who identifies the act which was wrong.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 03, 2015, 10:07:17 AM
Ok but in the real world when something goes wrong reasonable people don't attack the person who identifies the act which was wrong.

If you're talking about Marty, that's not all he did.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 03, 2015, 10:12:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 03, 2015, 10:07:17 AM

If you're talking about Marty, that's not all he did.

But that is what he was attacked for doing.  :contract:

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 03, 2015, 09:52:50 AM
While it is a self-evident truth that what we say here means less than jack and shit, that is a cop out garbon and you know it  :lol:

Well I think one has to pick one's battles unless one wants to be outraged all the time. ;)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.