Tablet Ultranewb Plea for Help

Started by Admiral Yi, August 26, 2015, 06:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I rented a tablet, an ASUS, from Rent-A-Center* for my upcoming Montreal trip.  It's new, so I have to charge it.  It's charging right now (I hope).  I've pressed the power button several times, and I either get a sort of hourglass/Ionian stella looking thing, or the company name in faint purple script under the screensaver.  I have a full day to figure out how to use it before I head off.

Should I be able to use it before the full 8 hours of charging?  If so, what do I need to do to activate it?  All I have right now is a sort of screensaver which lists all the amazing features of the tablet.  AFAICT the OS is Android.  I've looked at the manual and pretty much all it tells me is how to charge it.  It has a detachable keyboard/docking station (docked right now).  Does it operate more or less like a PC/laptop?

Any sort of help/tips/etc would be much appreciated.  Use it docked?  Undocked?  I will be googling hookers and strip clubs and checking my email.

*I had never been in a RAC before.  For the poor benighted ferenghi, RAC is a place where poor people with no credit go to get TVs and sofas on a "rent to own" plan.  You pay a small amount every week or two, and at the end of 5 years or whatever you own your sofa.  The total payment of course is outrageous.

viper37

The first time, you might not be able to use it until it's fully charged.  After that&the initial setup, it should work.
I don't have much experience with this, and my limited experience was with iPads, but I would use it undocked, it's more conveninent that way.  If you can't get used to it, than use it docked.

It's similar to a PC/Laptop, but it's a touch screen, it should be very intuitive once it starts...  Also, it may take a while before booting the first time.
Once in there, you will see icons for stuff you want to do.  E-mail, web, etc.  Once in the web browser (likely Chrome), you'll use it like any PC browser.  The kb will appear at the bottom of the screen when you touch a place you can type into.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

When it is powered up, how will I know?

Admiral Yi

There was a sticker on the screen I thought was a screensaver. :bleeding:

Hit the enter and it started up.  So far everything is very easy.  Gmail account connected, couple trial URLs and Google searches.

viper37

Great, enjoy your stay in Montreal! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Goddam it's hard to hit all the Languish operators on a touch pad.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2015, 05:49:47 PM

The "new" icon is so small. :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2015, 08:44:50 PM

Hit the enter and it started up.  So far everything is very easy.  Gmail account connected, couple trial URLs and Google searches.

Make sure you log out of every site, clean your search and cookies history and delete any saved passwords you may have before returning it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on August 30, 2015, 06:31:57 AM

Make sure you log out of every site, clean your search and cookies history and delete any saved passwords you may have before returning it.

I was going to ask the dude at the store to do it when I returned it.  Do you know if it will be super eas to do myself?

Admiral Yi

Man, I will never again bust on posters who Hillary up their spelling when posting from cell phones.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2015, 12:20:25 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 30, 2015, 06:31:57 AM

I was going to ask the dude at the store to do it when I returned it.  Do you know if it will be super eas to do myself?

If it's Chrome, you go to settings => advanced settings => delete browser data or delete browser history. Tick everything and go. Alternatively, google for how to do it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2015, 05:49:47 PM

Pinch you fingers together along the screen to zoom out.  Do the reverse to zoom in; I have to do that for the "new topic" icons, even using my full-size laptop in tablet mode.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Yup.  Figured that out but thanks anyway.