News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

D&D Classic Gold Box games come to GOG

Started by Arvoreen, August 20, 2015, 12:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I never played these back in the day (you think I was kidding about being an Apple fanboy- these games never came out in Apple II or Mac versions).

I have trouble imagining I could manage the graphics today.  But can anyone convince me otherwise?  Because I am generally a huge D&D nerd.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2015, 11:26:46 AM
I never played these back in the day (you think I was kidding about being an Apple fanboy- these games never came out in Apple II or Mac versions).

Yes they did. I played them on an Apple II. Or at least I did the first couple.

QuoteI have trouble imagining I could manage the graphics today.  But can anyone convince me otherwise?  Because I am generally a huge D&D nerd.

The graphics are alright because it is the old icon based gaming where the graphics don't matter. It is only the games that tried to have graphics that it is a problem.

Having said that the IE games are much better. This is 1st Ed AD&D man. Every silly thing about the old versions looms large. 'What do you mean my elf wizard can only get to level 8?'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 21, 2015, 11:23:02 AM
That and the fight against the ogres and trolls in the Rope Guild.

Took a lot of sleep spells in both battles.

Hold the line! Toss burning oil!

You could only sleep one of those biguns at a time and it did not always work :(

Stupid trolls would get back up and you couldn't burn their corpses like in Bioware games. You had to kill them with oil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

I am curious about the Savage Frontier Games. They just came out a tough time for me personally. I never played them but generally they are an interesting bridge between the old school AD&D games and the ones from the late 90s.

Darth Wagtaros

I liked them.  Slicker video, slicker rules. Didn't have the 'epic' feel I got from the mass of plot and world building stuff that came with the original trilogy though.  But fun.
PDH!

Valmy

The original 'trilogy' was actually four games :(

I never completed Pools of Darkness sadly.

Solmyr

Pools of Darkness was hard as hell. I remember dying horribly many times in the demon lord fights (particularly Tanetal... and navigating the body of Moander to get to him was nasty too).

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on August 21, 2015, 03:55:21 PM
Pools of Darkness was hard as hell. I remember dying horribly many times in the demon lord fights (particularly Tanetal... and navigating the body of Moander to get to him was nasty too).

Yeah that was when I quit. The Body of Moander.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

I am scared to try. I loved these games when I was 12.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2015, 02:44:28 AM
I am scared to try. I loved these games when I was 12.

They have not aged well.

Darth Wagtaros

Tried to play them awhile back.  Just couldn't do it.  They are old enough and clunky, though awesome in their day. So instead I watched a few hundred hours of Let's Play .
PDH!