Would you work at Amazon?

Started by Syt, August 17, 2015, 05:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: katmai on August 17, 2015, 01:23:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2015, 01:21:43 PM
Quote from: katmai on August 17, 2015, 01:12:34 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2015, 10:05:52 AM
I get calls from Amazon recruiters pretty regularly - like once every 4 months or so.

Since I am currently looking for a new position, it would be tempting to consider, but I don't want to move to Seattle,

What is wrong with you?!??!

???
We already know what is wrong with you.

Yeah, I choose to live in better cities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I don't know about Berk, but I am rather attached to the East Coast.  I am currently as far west as I care to go, and really don't want to move due north either.

Barrister

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 17, 2015, 01:25:59 PM

I don't know about Berk, but I am rather attached to the East Coast.  I am currently as far west as I care to go, and really don't want to move due north either.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2015, 01:25:38 PM
Quote from: katmai on August 17, 2015, 01:23:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2015, 01:21:43 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2015, 10:05:52 AM
I get calls from Amazon recruiters pretty regularly - like once every 4 months or so.

Since I am currently looking for a new position, it would be tempting to consider, but I don't want to move to Seattle,

???
We already know what is wrong with you.

Yeah, I choose to live in better cities.

Wow.

Just wow.

Caliga

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 17, 2015, 01:25:59 PM
:hmm: Can't understand that mentality.  I love the West Coast.  Would move there in a heartbeat if it made financial sense and I didn't have compelling family reasons not to.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Warspite on August 17, 2015, 10:24:24 AM
You're right, I should have read the article before replying.  :blush:

That said, I know the warehouse staff are worked rather hard too (as in, given physical distance targets measured through tracking devices).

I guess Amazon must pay well enough to attract these people.

You guess wrong. The warehouse people make barely more than minimum wage. The major facility near where I live is the one whose workers sued the company a while back to be paid for all the time they spend going through security screenings. Like a half hour a day or so. Remember that?

I have hired several people out of Amazon who just wanted out and were completely burnt. Nearly all of them were extremely good hires, who, if you don't burn them out, will give you many years of exceptional productivity. Treating people like that is not profitable in the long run. But hey, I got the benefit of their mistake.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2015, 03:33:46 PM
I have hired several people out of Amazon who just wanted out and were completely burnt. Nearly all of them were extremely good hires, who, if you don't burn them out, will give you many years of exceptional productivity. Treating people like that is not profitable in the long run. But hey, I got the benefit of their mistake.

They are capitalizing on their reputation to draw people in.  It's just like the game studios: so many people want to work there that they can get away with treating them like shit and burning them out because there is always fresh meat to be had.  Law, finance, and the other industries famous for this type of shit have the same deep pipelines.

Thing is, this intensifying negative publicity is going to kill Amazon in the long run, because they have competition for their talent from many other, saner companies.  Too much of this and their talent pipeline will dry up

Josquius

I've definitely heard a lot in the past about the warehouses being horrible. Iirc there was a bbc or channel 4 documentary not too long ago where someone went undercover in one.
First big negatives I've heard of the offices though. Does seem rather horrid.

Though from all I've heard Seattle seems to be one of the top 5 or 6 places in the US to me. A bit freakishly far from home but I could do it.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Hell no.  That kind of environment would not bring out the best in me.  I would not be a good worker, and I would not be a good person.

Admiral Yi

I have no problem with telling others their ideas suck; I would pay for the privilege.

I have no problem with constant measurement of performance, as long as the activity they're measuring is rational.

I don't mind pulling long hours to meet a crazy deadline every once in a while, it can be kind of fun sometimes.  But I couldn't do it all the time.

Razgovory

I'll work for anyone who will hire me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

How much radioactivity do they handle?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 17, 2015, 03:45:42 PM

They are capitalizing on their reputation to draw people in. 

That won't last much longer. Bezos is a dick, and I stopped buying from Amazon more than a year ago.
Fuck that company and their libertarian CEO.

The Brain

Everytime I shop at Amazon I kill a kitten.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on August 17, 2015, 04:57:52 PM
Everytime I shop at Amazon I kill a kitten.
Do they ship them to you live so you can get the thrill of hte kill? The self-hatred fades as you snuff the life from the little fluff ball, and you feel the exultation that only killing can give you. Though it can't match that of the timet hat that stupid bitch just wouldn't move out of the way of you car fast enough.  You are one sick bastard. 
PDH!