News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I think it was an error to have years, months and days in the game; they should have gone with a stardate instead and left it unclear how long the unit of time was.

Zanza

I don't care for the label, but it took too little time in game time compared to other activities. I think it only took 2 months, which is very little compared to other activities, e.g. when you want to influence technological progress, it takes 10 years or so.

Richard Hakluyt

I see what you mean.....I'd have assumed several years at least for that process.

celedhring

Just got a nice game going. I am a fanatic materialist and pacifist oligarchy (I roleplay them as amoral exploiters that refuse war out of cowardice rather than belief), and began sandwiched in between several militaristic powers that hate me for my gormless ways  :lol: However, since they are busy warring each other, I managed to carve up a decent backyard for myself while they weren't looking. I'm trying to weasel my way towards galactic domination  :lol:.

My defences are a bit paper thin, though (most of my minerals are being poured towards frantic colonization and planetary growth, and I don't have much military tech), so I hope they don't turn their heads and notice me blobbing at their expense...

Really want to make this my first "long" game, so I will maybe hold playing until they release the patch this week (unless it's delayed).

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2016, 09:45:40 PM
What I really want to know is if they will upgrade colonies reasonably though - it seemed like before they would not upgrade the colony to a planetary base, which meant they could not upgrade anything really.

Sectors have their own internal influence system. If you have frontier outposts within the sector then that reduces its ability to accumulate influence which in turn reduces  the sector's ability to construct things like planetary administration buildings.

MadBurgerMaker

I came across a mod that allows sectors to build ships.  In the workshop it's called "Sector Defense Navy."  The ships built will count against your cap instead of the sector cap, but you can disband them if you need to.

Also, there are several mods to speed up upgrade time, for those interested.  They're save game compatible. 

E:  This link might work: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686083401&searchtext=sector

Josquius

I'm tempted. Never paid full price for a game for a while but for next weekend I might get this. Though I know logically I should wait for the early patches.

Also hope the Star trek mod is quick.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Is there a way to know which mods are being updated? Steam downloads stuff all the time but it's all slapped with a generic "workshop content" tag so I don't know which mods are the ones being updated.

Berkut

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 22, 2016, 02:11:32 PM
I came across a mod that allows sectors to build ships.  In the workshop it's called "Sector Defense Navy."  The ships built will count against your cap instead of the sector cap, but you can disband them if you need to.

Sector cap on ships? Huh?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

He wasn't able to add it, or something similar to it, yet.  Apparently removing their impact on your naval cap and adjusting budgeting weights for the sector AI both currently cause crashes.

Grey Fox

The Scourge has shown up.

Sadly, I would have to declare war to 6 different empire to do something about it. :shrug:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

I discovered a planet with bronze age cats and presentient birds! :o

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

frunk

Berkut

I don't like how the combat system is pretty much all or nothing - there isn't any real operational content to fighting wars. It pretty much boils down to each side making mega stacks, duking it out, and the loser is fucked.

There is some strategy in how you build your ships and form you mega stack of doom, but none in how you use it, as far as I can tell.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

Yeah, combat is pretty lame...and seems biases towards one weapon system over another, without any real balance.

In my current game, still very early on, my race was energy-weapon focused, and the other small empire I got into a war with was using missile-spam corvettes (vs. my energy-spam corvettes).  My weapons were higher tech (by one level), and his shields were higher (II vs. I), but when our roughly equal-size fleets engage, I get overwhelming curb-stomped (he might lose one corvette to my total wipe out).