News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

I love ck. I have t played in a bit, and I know they changed the alliance system in a weird way. So I do have high hopes. I want to play insect overlords dammit!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

The game seemed to be played at a very "zoomed out" level. Figuratively & literally.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2016, 11:21:08 AM
Thing is, if you have played CK and EU you already have a good idea what you are getting.  Add to that the fact they dont have to worry about achieving any historical accuracy and there is good reason to expect an excellent game experience.

Grumbler will be very upset if the game doesn't model the Battle of the Line properly.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2016, 03:38:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2016, 11:21:08 AM
Thing is, if you have played CK and EU you already have a good idea what you are getting.  Add to that the fact they dont have to worry about achieving any historical accuracy and there is good reason to expect an excellent game experience.

Grumbler will be very upset if the game doesn't model the Battle of the Line properly.

:D

But it would be very cool if it did.  :worthy:

Tonitrus

A new Dev Diary on the "Late Game Crisis"...including this tidbit:

QuoteSome technologies are clearly marked as being "risky", for example Robot Workers. Now, you might not always risk having your victory snatched out of your grasp, but in this case at least, you really are gambling with the fate of the galaxy. Just researching such a technology is safe; it's the actual use of it that carries the danger. For example, the more sentient Robot Pops there are in the galaxy, the higher the risk is that they will come to deem organic life unfit to exist and rise up in a well-planned revolt. Unless crushed quickly and with overwhelming force, such a Machine Empire will quickly get out of hand and threaten all the remaining empires in the galaxy. Sentient robots will out-research and outproduce everyone. If the revolt is centered in a powerful rival empire, you'll need to think carefully about when you want to intervene; a savvy player might time it just right and be able to mop up both the robots and the remnants of the rival empire. Leave it too long, however, and the robots will overwhelm you.

Hello Skynet.  :P

jimmy olsen

Seems odd that it is the number of them that triggers rebellion rather than their treatment by the state. If you force your sentient robots to slave away in the salt mines or to die for you in battle I can see them plotting to rebel,  but if they're given the same rights as everyone else, why would they?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2016, 02:53:39 AM
Seems odd that it is the number of them that triggers rebellion rather than their treatment by the state. If you force your sentient robots to slave away in the salt mines or to die for you in battle I can see them plotting to rebel,  but if they're given the same rights as everyone else, why would they?

Racism? Superiority complex? Certainly we could see a scenario where there is a plague or disease of some kind where biologicals die and leaves the machines to mull why such weaker beings are not a strain to the state.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Yeah, they may consider themselves to be superior to the inferior flesh beings.

Martinus

Legbiter

The worry with creating a generalized artificial intelligence much more cognitively capable than puny fleshbags, and one coupled with some form of optimization process as it's ultimate purpose (make as many paperclips as efficiently as possible using self-learning, for instance), is that it results in a hyper-capable entity that kills it's creators to stop them from hindering it's optimization process (whatever it is) and/or uses it's creators and anything it can get hold of as raw materials for whatever it is supposed to be making or doing.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

There should be an AI that kills people who confuse "its" and "it's". :P

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jaron on April 18, 2016, 02:54:31 AM
Stellaris is one of the best games I've ever played...
You make that Amazon review yet?
PDH!

crazy canuck

Assume a world where there is a critical mass of beings like Marti.  Now think about the fate the population those Martis deem undesirable.  I agree that the flawed assumption is that intelligent robots would think like Marti but that appears to be the underlying assumption.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2016, 08:03:49 AM
There should be an AI that kills people who confuse "its" and "it's". :P
Their and there would be even more betterer.
PDH!

Solmyr

The AI itself would communicate entirely in lolspeak.

Btw, I hope that if your empire is taken over by robots or a genetic master race that you developed, you can continue playing as them.