News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Feels a bit like Elemental War of Magic's way of doing this - basically it would spawn in more event sites when you researched certain techs. I assume rifts will become available once you reach certain tech thresholds. I still feel Stellaris would benefit from "hidden star systems" that become visible/visitable once you have certain sensors, or such.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2023, 11:56:26 AMFeels a bit like Elemental War of Magic's way of doing this - basically it would spawn in more event sites when you researched certain techs. I assume rifts will become available once you reach certain tech thresholds. I still feel Stellaris would benefit from "hidden star systems" that become visible/visitable once you have certain sensors, or such.
Yes. Also maybe slowly evolving star lanes.

chipwich

I'm going to emphasize that Paragons is the best and most impactful DLC in the game.

Zanza

The latest DLC "Machine Age" is really good. Adds a lot for playing with machines, synths, cyborgs and also some general stuff like kilo-structures and new crises. Definitely a must buy if you play Stellaris.

Tonitrus

Weren't machines/synths/etc. added as a DLC before?

So it's a DLC to the DLC?  :P

Syt

Previously, machines had to have gestalt consciousness (like Borg) only. Now you can retain individuality and can have e.g. a megacorp run by machines.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 12, 2024, 11:11:41 AMWeren't machines/synths/etc. added as a DLC before?

So it's a DLC to the DLC?  :P
As Syt said, it's adding variety to the existing mechanics, not completely new things like Galactic Paragons.

Tonitrus

Right...so how is not just an additional expansion upon Synthetic Dawn?

Tonitrus

I should add...I don't mean to imply that it is anything nefrious.  They're adding features/content that they didn't have to, and asking for more money to pay for that staff that develops said content.  Perfectly fine.  But it is still and add-on to an add-on.  :P

If anything, some props...Stellaris has been around for quite some time.  They could have easily shut down development on it and hit the "start over" button to fire up Stellaris II already.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Did space combat ever get better, or is it still blobs of ships chasing other  blobs of ships?

Solmyr

I mean, EU4 already established the "DLC to the DLC" model. :P Some major countries have like three different mission trees, depending on which DLCs you own.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 14, 2024, 12:41:27 AMDid space combat ever get better, or is it still blobs of ships chasing other  blobs of ships?

The "Doomstack solution" is something that has always interestingly evaded strategy computer gaming AI.  Either from a structural/design flaw, lack of care about the AI, etc.

You'd have thought our recent evolutions in AI would have solved it...but it may just be a structural problem (e.g. the rules applied to large fleets, use of the hyperlane system) that ties down the alternatives. 

The AI would need a reason to NOT use a doomstack...and none seem apparent. And that the AI uses a doomstack seems to essentially force the human player to respond in kind.

Tonitrus

One of the things I've also noticed in my Stellaris playthroughs, is that even a massive military tech advantage (in weapons/shields) will never seem to scale well to overcome a significant numerical advantage.

This may be by design, but hits hard against tech-heavy, "tall" playthroughs.

Jacob

The doomstack solution speaks to shallowness in the strategic simulation, I think. If doomstacks are the most viable way to win then the AI should use doomstacks. If you don't want doomstacks, you'd need to build your warfare model such that doomstacks aren't the best way to win (though of course that's much more complicated).