News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I thought he was just explaining his point of view/why he still likes it. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Yeah, I agree with the point. You have to actively try to make things move, which is far from perfect, but if you do it can be quite fun.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2016, 10:07:21 AM

sorry, the line that you have to "have the balls" to do x in order to enjoy this game is a bit much, even for a game nerd

chipwich

Quote from: Berkut on August 19, 2016, 10:46:18 AM
. The flaws are real, but despite them I find myself interested in playing anyway. I abandon games regularly once they reach a point where they are not terribly interesting anymore, for whatever reason

Don't you think this is a problem?

Berkut

Quote from: chipwich on August 20, 2016, 06:06:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 19, 2016, 10:46:18 AM
. The flaws are real, but despite them I find myself interested in playing anyway. I abandon games regularly once they reach a point where they are not terribly interesting anymore, for whatever reason

Don't you think this is a problem?

Definitely.

But it doesn't stop me from coming back and playing again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2016, 02:09:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2016, 10:07:21 AM

sorry, the line that you have to "have the balls" to do x in order to enjoy this game is a bit much, even for a game nerd

What is a bit much is you trying making some comments about why I like a game into some kind of personal bullshit. Take it the other forum if you want to engage in a pissing match over why someone likes a game you don't.

0 rows returned

Berkut

0 rows returned

Berkut

....so anyway....

The Star Trek mod is really impressive. Much like Stellaris, there is a lot that is potentially even more impressive.

You could develop out the events, and storylines, etc., etc. Would love to see a Borg mega crisis for example.

But it does have the basic problem that you can kind of play it without anything really happening...

0 rows returned

chipwich

Is it really fun to "have the balls" to throw some massive war alliance vs alliance, fight for hours, deal with the tedious, carpal-tunnelish process of managing armies (or god forbid upgrading them, which can only be done one at a time  :wacko:), then only be able to take a handful of planets from the peacedeal, and start the whole process over?

HVC

Quote from: chipwich on August 20, 2016, 10:51:29 PM
Is it really fun to "have the balls" to throw some massive war alliance vs alliance, fight for hours, deal with the tedious, carpal-tunnelish process of managing armies (or god forbid upgrading them, which can only be done one at a time  :wacko:), then only be able to take a handful of planets from the peacedeal, and start the whole process over?
careful or the pink text will come out.

I played like 120 some odd hours in the first month or so playing different types of races and governments, but I got bored. I still think it can be a fun game once fixed, but it's shelved for now. I still think, overall I got my monies worth because it's still one of my steam games with the most hours played, and I still have hope it'll be fixed at some point.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: chipwich on August 20, 2016, 10:51:29 PM

It sure doesn't sound like it...but apparently it is to me.

The army interface does suck something fierce. I don't bother upgrading them, since I don't think the effect is worth the clicks, unless I build an army ahead of time.

Again, I am not arguing that YOU should find it fun, just pointing out that I do. Or did. I haven't played much lately, since I am waiting for the next patch.

0 rows returned

garbon

Latest announced changes are concerning. Unless they are really holding back on key changes, none of the changes noted this week seem very critical.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I cant get to Paradox at work - any interesting summary?

0 rows returned

garbon

Changes to planet types (now 3 groups and you've 60% habitability to planets who are in your group but not your specific type)
Changes in number of habitable planets (much fewer) - also colonisation no longer needs tech researching for planet types, just need habitability above 30% (default for planets not your group is 20%)
Alliances are out as they were some middling stage that wasn't non-agression pact or federation
Federations now have some sort of associate status that can be granted to non-members to work as a NAP
New toggles for control of sectors

Nothing I really disagree with but none of which really works much to substantial issues with gameplay (more of nice to haves).

Berkut

In comparison to EU, Stellaris is just missing the actual history that makes EU so damn awesome.

To me, there are two things they are trying to do, and I assume they consider them separately:

1. Provide the game framework that is fun, interesting, and has lots of meaningful choices and options, and

2. Build a "world" on top of that framework that can capture the interests of the players.

I think they have about 70% of #1 right now, but maybe only 30% of #2.

0 rows returned