News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

In their press conference they said they aim to have high replayability (random galaxies, random alien races). Also, you start in the beginning with exploration via science ships and their commanders, then in mid game you deal with other races, and in end game they say that factions within your empire will become more important, and that in late game galactic crises can occur (Henrik alluded to e.g. robot slaves rising up).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also watching the Q&A stream. Damn, Adam Smith from RockPaperShotgun looks like a hobo off the street craving his next shot. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

I'm cautiously optimistic. Would be nice with a space game that is actually worth playing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2015, 03:39:37 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. Would be nice with a space game that is actually worth playing.

This.

A lot of promises, could be hard to pull off.  Paradox is without a doubt my favourite game developer, but they are certainly not infallible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I think they've become more cautious over the years. After the meh to bad EU3 and HoI3 launches I was ready to give up on them, but they really redeemed themselves with CK2 and EU4 (and them publishing titles like Cities Skylines or Pillars of Eternity also helps). And I hope they learned their lesson about promising stuff and then realizing it's not gonna happen (their Norse RPG project). So I'm also in the cautiously optimistic camp.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Steam page is online: http://store.steampowered.com/app/281990/

QuoteExplore a vast galaxy full of wonder! Paradox Development Studio, makers of the Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis series presents Stellaris, an evolution of the grand strategy genre with space exploration at its core.

Featuring deep strategic gameplay, an enormous selection of alien races and emergent storytelling, Stellaris has a deeply challenging system that rewards interstellar exploration as you traverse, discover, interact and learn more about the multitude of species you will encounter during your travels.

Etch your name across the cosmos by uncovering remote celestial outposts,and entire civilizations. Will you expand through war or walk the path of diplomacy to achieve your goals?

Main Features
- Discovery Events – Emergent Storytelling.
- Deep & Varied Exploration.
- Enormous procedural star systems, containing thousands of planets.
- Numerous playable species, each with their own traits and engineering styles.
- Vast number of Unique Random Species.
- Advanced Diplomacy system.
- Ship Designer (even civilian ships can be customized).
-Stunning space visuals.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Could be cool based on what rps summarised. We shall see.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

getting a MoO3 vibe here regarding promises.
We'll see.

Grallon

Hmm this looks very promising, what 'Galactic Civilizations' should have been in fact; even though GalCiv 3 is a very fun game it lacks the depth Paradox usually brings to their titles ...   Maybe we'll have our antiquity game afterwards.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on August 06, 2015, 11:10:25 PM
Could be cool based on what rps summarised. We shall see.

Yeah, it is what I hoped; taking the great character driven and organic procedural aspects of CK2 and using them to innovate the space 4x genre.

Mods for this shit can be pretty wicked too.