And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Norgy on January 01, 2016, 08:15:32 AM
Really? Now?
When you know space will be full of Swedish special events?
Gain +5 tax base in Alpha Centauri, get 6/6/6 general for free.

at least this time they'll get eugenics right

garbon

Latest dev diary isn't so great. Like CK2, as an attacker you'll be limited to taking whatever your initial war goals are. Unlike CK2, you can have multiple - but I don't see why a space faring race would be more diplomatically limited in war than states in EUIV.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

That sounds like great news to me.

One of the best things about MP EU3 was that you could not just dismantle an enemy completely in one war.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

While there is something to be said about that, I think wars where the goals never evolve over time are lame.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Shrug. I guess I imagine the game to be pretty dynamic, like all these games, and if play shows that they need some mechanism so that it could be the case that war goals might change, then we will see it at some point.

But starting from the basic premise that wars typically are not all out fight for existence (as most games treat them) is a very good thing.

0 rows returned

garbon

I think this random commenter said it best for me - minus the great bit. :D:

Great DD yet this left me somewhat "unsatisfied":

Now I say this because I always thought that EU4 peace system was great if compared, for example, to that of CK2. I feel like it is a much more "accurate" way of portraying a peace deal...I agree with you that one should decide the main goals of a war and not being able to take over a whole empire in a single war, yet I also think that these goals shouldn't be limited this much. I am sure you guys talked quite a lot before deciding which system was better so I'd like to understand the process behind the choice in order to understand it and, why not, like it.

Richard Hakluyt

The DD does also state "There are other exceptions to how wars are waged, in the form of special types of civilizations, but that will have to wait for another dev diary."  :hmm:

Perhaps many civilisations will adhere to certain diplomatic rules (such as in 18th century Europe) whilst a few will just ignore them? That would be the sensible thing i think.

I'm hoping that wargoals can also be added to if the war goes well or bitterly, much as it does in VicII.

I can see how it might work out quite well, we have a Galactic Civilisation with many competing powers who nevertheless have certain values in common. Then........disaster!...........a horrible race has been encountered that just kill everything  :(

Josephus

Don't forget the rules will change with each successive expansion pack.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 09, 2016, 09:13:17 AM

:D

I look  forward to planetary fortresses that will inhibit the movement of interstellar craft.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Josephus on February 09, 2016, 09:13:17 AM

I really like that model as it keeps the game fresh for me, in games mastery=boredom.

Zanza

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

This is going to get a very rare Berkut first day purchase.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien