News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Berkut on June 01, 2022, 01:25:45 PMIs war still an exercise in whack-a-mole?
It has gotten better, especially war exhaustion and AI accepting terms before you conquer everything. But it is not great, still have to follow fleets around to beat them.

The fun part about Stellaris is the exploration, the possibility to be evil, the way your empire can develop in the course of the game.

Berkut

Oh yeah, the fun of the game isn't so much the wars, but getting ready for the wars. It is for HOI like.

But once the war starts, the chasing around bit is really tiresome.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

I would suggest that the war problem is solved by multiplayer play, but Berkut doesn't do that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on June 01, 2022, 04:38:53 PMOh yeah, the fun of the game isn't so much the wars, but getting ready for the wars. It is for HOI like.

But once the war starts, the chasing around bit is really tiresome.
Very.  Especially when they have a single corvette running around 'liberating' the conquered systems so their war score is inflated.  Or when I conquer half of an alliance and destroy their navies but the war goes on because. 
Or when I'm in an alliance and I can't back out of war that I'm the only one actively fighting in because I'm not the alliance leader.
PDH!

Syt

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2115770/Stellaris_Toxoids_Species_Pack/

New species pack coming:

QuoteRise from the primordial ooze all the way to the stars! The Toxoids Species Pack gives players the chance to inhabit toxic worlds, gamble the future of their planets for immediate gains, and make the tough sacrifices necessary to survive a hostile galaxy.

NEW ORIGINS
Knights of the Toxic God: In the depths of your homeworld, rumors rumble of a true power buried under the toxic sludge. Do you dare to dredge up the secrets of your past - and potentially unleash a biological colossus?

Overtuned: Play as a species that can gain more and more traits at the cost of its own lifespan, and live for today without worrying about sticking around for tomorrow!

NEW CIVICS
Toxic Baths: Grow your population fast with a fresh infusion of mutagenic sludge - so long as you're willing to tolerate the costs to your planet and your people!
Scavengers: Harvest debris and destruction for quick construction projects of your own.
Relentless Industrialists: If you're going to keep up with demand, you're going to have to learn to ignore all of those petty regulations and negative opinions. The surviving population will thank you for all of the resources you gain!

NEW TRAITS
Incubator: Repopulate quickly when your planet is empty, but those growth facilities can fill up fast!
Inorganic Breath: Your own people are a source of valuable exotic gasses! It's a shame the respirators are so expensive.
Noxious: Other species can't stand being around you, and it seems like your mere existence is making your planets awful places to live. On the other hand, other empires have a very difficult time wanting to fight or subjugate you!
Exotic Metabolism: You've adapted to ask "are you going to eat that?" where other species would be calling the hazmat team. Eat faster, live longer, and enjoy a terrifying rainbow of flavors!

COSMETICS
New ships, species portraits, and cityscapes to remind the galaxy that beauty is in the stinging, burning eye of the beholder
A new toxoids advisor voice, helpfully providing news and advice dripping with noxious sarcasm
...and much more!

*Some features may require content sold separately
If we want to prevent catastrophic economic and societal change we will have to radically change our climate system.

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

To bring over what the CK3 thread reminded me: these species pack are more makeup to hide there's no game there except the imagined narrative in the player's head. :P

Really though, imagine Stellaris without the (neat, but now largely extremely familiar) events. What actual game is there? The races can have massive differences, but only on paper - you still play the exact same way with each of them, at most changing your resource focus if you are playing one of the extreme ones like machines or silicoids.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Tonitrus

Undead and now Toxoids?  Me thinks they're just scraping the barrel bottom for bucks now.

Zanza

Meh, they should rather have done some story heavy DLC that adds more midgame crisis or so. Or at least something with additional mechanics, e.g. for hiveminds.

The species packs add a bit of variety, but not as much as I would like. It would be better if they would have more species related content for e.g. technology or traditions. Similar to how gestalt or megacorps actually have a bit different content there.

Zanza

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 02, 2022, 10:46:01 AMTrue.  Midgame it turns into a slog.
The problem is that the best part of Stellaris, the early exploration, is missing in midgame. They should think of how to make exploration part of midgame. Or make mechanics like factions, espionage, trade, diplomacy fun.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Zanza on September 02, 2022, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 02, 2022, 10:46:01 AMTrue.  Midgame it turns into a slog.
The problem is that the best part of Stellaris, the early exploration, is missing in midgame. They should think of how to make exploration part of midgame. Or make mechanics like factions, espionage, trade, diplomacy fun.
It woudl be great if they did. As it is joining a federation and getting into a war is awful as I can't make peace and the AI doesn't seem included to even if I (the AI frequently doesn't go on the offensive) conquer all or most of the enemy territories.  It just degenerates into a slog of playing wackamole with a corvette or two all over the place. 

Espionage is not really a thing.  Trade is good, I've stockpiled huge reserves of exotic materials, but a lot of the rest, especially managing pops turns into something like work. 
PDH!