News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Yeah, influence is very important. Critical for establishing outposts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

So what do the +X% border growth abilities do now?

FunkMonk

Played about 4 hours yesterday. My custom race experienced some slave unrest that I pretty much ignored because I was concentrating on expanding the borders of the empire a bit too much. Eventually I started to run out of food because I was growing too much and expanding too fast. Then a huge slave revolt overthrew my government on my homeworld and declared independence. A moral democracy of all things  :yuk:

I quickly declared war and began sieging my homeworld but the rebel slaves had a huge army garrison so I had to wait and build up a large enough army to assault the planet while my fleet bombarded the planet back to the stone age. While this is happening a couple pirate groups spawn in unclaimed space around my empire because I expanded way too quickly. The pirates raid up and down my systems destroying research stations and mines. All the while I'm desperately trying to increase the food and energy supplies so I don't continue starving or go bankrupt. I declare martial law on the rest of my planets to help quell the slave unrest and population unhappiness due to the food shortage.

As soon as I feel confident enough of victory I assault my slave-owned homeworld and after a brutal battle I am victorious. I quickly annex the planet and, not long after, switch my race profile to 'Full Citizenship' to not replicate what happened on my homeworld again. The slaves won their freedom after all. Soon after, I deal with the pirates and things are now back to normal.

I just went through an unscripted time of troubles and it all narratively makes sense. That is pretty damn cool.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 23, 2018, 09:48:46 AM
Played about 4 hours yesterday. My custom race experienced some slave unrest that I pretty much ignored because I was concentrating on expanding the borders of the empire a bit too much. Eventually I started to run out of food because I was growing too much and expanding too fast. Then a huge slave revolt overthrew my government on my homeworld and declared independence. A moral democracy of all things  :yuk:

I quickly declared war and began sieging my homeworld but the rebel slaves had a huge army garrison so I had to wait and build up a large enough army to assault the planet while my fleet bombarded the planet back to the stone age. While this is happening a couple pirate groups spawn in unclaimed space around my empire because I expanded way too quickly. The pirates raid up and down my systems destroying research stations and mines. All the while I'm desperately trying to increase the food and energy supplies so I don't continue starving or go bankrupt. I declare martial law on the rest of my planets to help quell the slave unrest and population unhappiness due to the food shortage.

As soon as I feel confident enough of victory I assault my slave-owned homeworld and after a brutal battle I am victorious. I quickly annex the planet and, not long after, switch my race profile to 'Full Citizenship' to not replicate what happened on my homeworld again. The slaves won their freedom after all. Soon after, I deal with the pirates and things are now back to normal.

I just went through an unscripted time of troubles and it all narratively makes sense. That is pretty damn cool.

Well done, Space Admiral Sulla.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Sounds great, Funk Monk. That's the beauty of Paradox games.

The Brain

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 23, 2018, 09:48:46 AM

:(

Cull early, cull often.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Is it possible to control what sort of states you start near? Twice in a row, my peace loving UN was started near a series of xenophobic species. :(

Also, on diplomacy - is key factors that you run trade deals and do things like grant independence to make other states happy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2018, 10:56:08 AM
Is it possible to control what sort of states you start near? Twice in a row, my peace loving UN was started near a series of xenophobic species. :(

OK Canada.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 23, 2018, 11:12:40 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2018, 10:56:08 AM

OK Canada.

I mean I have Civ VI if I just want AI empires that hate me.

celedhring

The changes to the game look interesting! I hate the gruyére look of the map but it'll make expansion more engaging than just blobbing your borders.

Will try to go and finish a Stellaris save once and for all, after I complete my current CK2 Zoroastrian save. I still haven't seen a single lategame crisis  :lol:

Tamas

I haven't gotten far enough to really judge the changes but the totally predictable outrage tsunami on the official forums, from people who had their map-painting algorithm down and well practiced to perfection so they didn't have to put any thought to the game anymore, is hillarious. OMG I USED TO PWN EVERYONE AND NOW I DONT, GAME IS BROKEN

Berkut

SO now you have to have a base in a system in order to do anything there. OK.

But why? I am not seeing how this changes the expansion dynamic. It just adds a step to the expansion - build a base in each system.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on February 23, 2018, 01:45:55 PM
The changes to the game look interesting! I hate the gruyére look of the map but it'll make expansion more engaging than just blobbing your borders.

Will try to go and finish a Stellaris save once and for all, after I complete my current CK2 Zoroastrian save. I still haven't seen a single lategame crisis  :lol:

I like the new changes pretty much. Building bases in each system is perhaps more cumbersome than building an outpost that covers several systems, but the upside is that the base doesn't have a monthly maintenance influence cost. Bases just cost initial influence to build. Before when expanding you had to be more careful else lose influence gain.

Just started Apocalypse so I'll see how it goes. I had recently started up playing again, pre-Apocalypse, and was really liking it.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Berkut on February 24, 2018, 01:27:53 PM
SO now you have to have a base in a system in order to do anything there. OK.

But why? I am not seeing how this changes the expansion dynamic. It just adds a step to the expansion - build a base in each system.

So far, to me at least, it seems to really be just the functional equivalent of "planting a flag" to claim a system.  In war, taking undeveloped stations are just "capturing" said flag.

I didn't like, and still don't really care for, the star-based "station" for reach system (because I think in reality, space infrastructure will almost always be planet-centric, not star-centric)...but that is mostly, at least functionally, just clash against my preferred aesthetics.

So far, the functional part of it seems to be working well...I actually really like the new look to borders (though I wish that in war, as you take systems, it would show that by means of some kind of shading).

garbon

The Federation and its neighbors in the early 23rd century. That cluster of green ships is where the Federation is currently engaged in "liberating" the Cardassian people.