News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I pretty much always played with only hyperlanes allowed anyway.

Otherwise there just isn't really any "geography" to the game.

Regular warp drive could work as well if the structure of the galaxy was then built to create geogrpahy - more empty spaces that canot be traversed, etc.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

I just recently started playing again in last couple weeks (after a break for several months)...and one of the things I noticed, playing as a warp-FTL race...was that it seemed to often arbitrarily limit my ability to warp to certain nearby systems almost as if it was forcing me to use invisible hyperlanes anyway.

Though I know that had always been the case when "crossing" arms in a spiral galaxy map.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2017, 11:39:18 AM

Regular warp drive could work as well if the structure of the galaxy was then built to create geogrpahy - more empty spaces that canot be traversed, etc.

I think it'd be more interesting if they did the latter + say you can't warp through things like nebulas.

Otherwise, what they are kind of creating is just EU4/CK2 in space. As I saw on the forum, so now we can go from one 'province' to 'neighbouring provinces' only - will we get terrain maluses for crossing 'rivers'? :D

My only 'fear' with this new more limited design is that we're treating space as though it were olden day warfare. You've starbases (or fortresses) with then static defenses that you'll build at key choke points. Doesn't seem very space like - more of a re-hash, revamp of the traditional setup for 4X space games.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 09, 2017, 11:41:58 AM
I just recently started playing again in last couple weeks (after a break for several months)...and one of the things I noticed, playing as a warp-FTL race...was that it seemed to often arbitrarily limit my ability to warp to certain nearby systems almost as if it was forcing me to use invisible hyperlanes anyway.

Though I know that had always been the case when "crossing" arms in a spiral galaxy map.

Warp only has a certain distance you can travel in one direct shot until you have further researched warp engines. Then you can go further.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2017, 11:59:47 AM

Warp only has a certain distance you can travel in one direct shot until you have further researched warp engines. Then you can go further.

I have had the game not allow me to warp to neighboring systems that are quite obviously closer than ones I could warp to....unless visual reference doesn't matter.  :P

garbon

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 09, 2017, 12:05:32 PM

I have had the game not allow me to warp to neighboring systems that are quite obviously closer than ones I could warp to....unless visual reference doesn't matter.  :P

You do realize that the "visual reference" includes a third dimension, right? So two systems that look close to one another are not necessarily?

0 rows returned

Agelastus

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 09, 2017, 12:05:32 PM

Were the systems showing a red encounter mark and your ships set to avoid? They blocked ships set to avoid from jumping to hostile systems a few patches ago.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tonitrus

Yep, 3rd dimension taken into account.

And no, no hostiles.

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 09, 2017, 04:14:55 PM
Yep, 3rd dimension taken into account.

And no, no hostiles.

THen you have a different version of Stellaris than I do, because I've never seen that happen.

Have you tried rebooting three times?

0 rows returned

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2017, 11:58:57 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2017, 11:39:18 AM

I think it'd be more interesting if they did the latter + say you can't warp through things like nebulas.

Otherwise, what they are kind of creating is just EU4/CK2 in space. As I saw on the forum, so now we can go from one 'province' to 'neighbouring provinces' only - will we get terrain maluses for crossing 'rivers'? :D

My only 'fear' with this new more limited design is that we're treating space as though it were olden day warfare. You've starbases (or fortresses) with then static defenses that you'll build at key choke points. Doesn't seem very space like - more of a re-hash, revamp of the traditional setup for 4X space games.
EU4 works better as a game then Stellaris, especially when it comes to warfare. As space warfare is not hard science fiction anyway, the should focus on what is fun gameplay. If that turns out to be a tried and true formula, so be it.

garbon

If that's the case, I'd rather play a different 4X space game. Any number of them are more fun warfare wise and aren't such resource hogs. I didn't really need EU4 in space*.

Of course, I should say that Stellaris is the one P'dox game that I've never felt any urge to buy DLC for.  What goodwill I had for Paradox trying out a new genre dissipated over time. Maybe Stellaris II will prove worthwhile much in the same way that CK2 was the culmination of Sengoku, Rome and CK1.

*which most of the new changes in warfare announced today just seem to be a combination of CK2 and EU4 mechanics

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2017, 05:26:00 PM
*which most of the new changes in warfare announced today just seem to be a combination of CK2 and EU4 mechanics

There's some evolution.  One of the interesting bits is the opportunity to have a war where systems change hands on both sides (winner and loser), which I don't think is possible in any of the other games.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on November 10, 2017, 02:38:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2017, 05:26:00 PM

There's some evolution.  One of the interesting bits is the opportunity to have a war where systems change hands on both sides (winner and loser), which I don't think is possible in any of the other games.

Hence 'most' :P

But yeah that's something that mods sometimes had but never p'dox games.

Agelastus

I just wish that for autocratic governments they'd block your emperor/leader from creating or leading the one faction most antithetical to the ethics and goals of your empire. I've lost count now of the number of autocratic campaigns I've played where this has happened; for example, my xenophobe empire's emperor founding the xenophile faction.

"Yes, your majesty, we are going to have zero faction happiness because of all your policies and actions but we'd still love you to lead us." :glare:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."