News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

100 Greatest American Films

Started by Syt, July 21, 2015, 04:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2015, 01:35:15 PM
For those who like it a bit more concise, Brad Jones aka Cinema Snob has a three part review (running ca. an hour):
BRAD HOW THE HELL ARE YA
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on July 24, 2015, 01:51:19 PM
I do like Brad Jones, but a big issue with a lot of his fellow video reviewers is how quickly their reviews become comedy sketch shows, inflating the runtime and rarely being good at both since they're radically different skill sets.  And being a bad comedian is much more grating than being a bad critic, too.

He and SF Debris are about the only ones I still watch (and Linkara's comic reviews). I like Oancitizen, but am too lazy to follow his Blip account. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Linkara lost me hard and is the one I hold up as an example of problems with the form.  He's a decent comic book critic, albeit overly concerned with fan rage, but when his reviews ballooned into really amateurish comic skits with vestigial criticism, I had to bail.

I still liked Spooky but his nervous breakdown-thing and the attendant absence got me out of the habit.  Plus by the end of that period he could be kind of upsetting to watch, since he famously had no filter and had a penchant for getting drunk on camera.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on July 24, 2015, 02:10:46 PM
Linkara lost me hard and is the one I hold up as an example of problems with the form.  He's a decent comic book critic, albeit overly concerned with fan rage, but when his reviews ballooned into really amateurish comic skits with vestigial criticism, I had to bail.
I don't care for those, either, but he keeps them away from his reviews now, either after the review finishes, or after the credits, so I find them easy to avoid. If there's something at the start I skip through it to the main review. And I feel he does it much less often these days.

QuoteI still liked Spooky but his nervous breakdown-thing and the attendant absence got me out of the habit.  Plus by the end of that period he could be kind of upsetting to watch, since he famously had no filter and had a penchant for getting drunk on camera.

I don't think I've ever watched him.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

Phone auto corrected away from "Spoony."  Altho maybe you caught that. :P

I need to catch up with Todd in the Shadows someday.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Oh, Spoony. Yeah, never watched him much. I liked Obscurus Lupa, but she seems to have left Channel Awesome.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Obscurus Lupa did a wonderful hilarious comic "review" on the show that was a bane to my existence at the University of Texas gym for nine years: Charmed. It was always on right in front of the machine I used virtually 24/7. The sound was turned off so I could never hear it but somehow I still was horrified at how stupid it was. The only good thing I could say about it was that Rose McGowan was super hot.

Spoony has not done any video game reviews for ages. Every once in a while he will do a Final Fantasy review which I find hilarious. Granted I only ever played the first one on my NES. His Ultima series is fantastic though. Pity.

Todd in the Shadows is my fav though I always watch his stuff. It is funny and well done and enables me to talk to teenagers. Important skills moving forward.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Oh, I sat down and figured out how many of these I've actually seen.  Only 14- and the only one in the top ten was 2001. :blush:
Experience bij!

Monoriu

The only one in the top 10 that I have seen is Casablanca.  I thought it was boring  :blush:

sbr

16 for me, maybe 17.  I don't remember if I have seen the original Psycho or not.

Was there a remake of Psycho in the 80s?  I swear I can remember watching one but I can't find anything about it anywhere. :hmm:

Eddie Teach

There was a remake in the 90s with Vince Vaughn and Anne Heche.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 25, 2015, 09:29:18 AM
There was a remake in the 90s with Vince Vaughn and Anne Heche.

There were a bunch of (terrible) Psycho sequels in the 80s, maybe he meant that.

sbr

The one I am thinking about was definitely earlier than that. 

I wonder how many other memories I have are not real.

EDIT:  Maybe it was Psycho II.  The plot synopsis sounds vaguely familiar but that was a long time ago.

alfred russel

28 that I remember seeing, but while counting up the numbers I noticed "Eyes Wide Shut" made the list. Really?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on July 25, 2015, 11:49:23 AM
28 that I remember seeing, but while counting up the numbers I noticed "Eyes Wide Shut" made the list. Really?

I think it's a surprising addition, but a justified one.

I mean, damn, if Lyndon can make it... :P
Kinemalogue