News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

50 best RPGs according to RPS

Started by Syt, July 11, 2015, 12:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on July 11, 2015, 12:27:14 PM
Also, if JRPGs count then Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross should be on there.

Yes, we need to make sure to list console games in a list of pc games...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

There's loads of good/amusing recent games (Sunless Sea, Darkest Dungeon, FTL...) which I'm not sure will make the list in 2020, too.

But well, a list it's not a good list if you can't bitch and tear it apart.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2015, 12:30:11 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 11, 2015, 12:27:14 PM
Also, if JRPGs count then Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross should be on there.

Yes, we need to make sure to list console games in a list of pc games...

I'm still surprised FF VII isn't there for example. Maybe they consider it a console game despite the PC port?

Norgy

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2015, 12:41:21 PM
There's loads of good/amusing recent games (Sunless Sea, Darkest Dungeon, FTL...) which I'm not sure will make the list in 2020, too.

But well, a list it's not a good list if you can't bitch and tear it apart.

This is true.
I can't argue with Morrowind's high position. 

There definitely are some good games on the list. The ranking, however, leaves me a bit puzzled.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on July 11, 2015, 12:22:24 PM
I know a lot see "Skyrim" as something else than a pure RPG, but 33rd? Really?

Behind "Dragon Age: Origins"?

Really? Out of all the bizarre things on that list you think DAO is one worth mentioning?

First of all they are saying Daggerfall is the better game. I mean I guess it is if you love randomized stuff. Or do you agree with that? Do you think Daggerfall is better?

But the combination of single character click fest with blobbers with Bioware style party games with strategy games like Darkest Dungeon and Dwarf Fortress are kind of :wacko:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Never really played "Daggerfall". fahdiz and several others loved it.

Yeah, I find DAO a really piss poor game.

I have the obvious fault I haven't played every game on the list.
I know you like DA games, and fair play to you for getting som mileage out of them, Valmy.

Solmyr

I played the shit out of Daggerfall. :wub: It was my first Elder Scrolls game.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2015, 01:21:02 PM

Really? Out of all the bizarre things on that list you think DAO is one worth mentioning?

First of all they are saying Daggerfall is the better game. I mean I guess it is if you love randomized stuff. Or do you agree with that? Do you think Daggerfall is better?

But the combination of single character click fest with blobbers with Bioware style party games with strategy games like Darkest Dungeon and Dwarf Fortress are kind of :wacko:

To be frank, "RPG" has become such a vague genre that it's hard to define anymore. What defines an RPG? Stat based progression system? (that's ultimately what a pen-and-paper RPG system is) Hell, Mass Effect 2 didn't have a more complex progression system than a Far Cry game.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2015, 02:36:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2015, 01:21:02 PM

To be frank, "RPG" has become such a vague genre that it's hard to define anymore. What defines an RPG? Stat based progression system? (that's ultimately what a pen-and-paper RPG system is) Hell, Mass Effect 2 didn't have a more complex progression system than a Far Cry game.

I'd say Far Cry games have a lot more role playing elements than FTL.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Far Cry 4 at least had the positives of being playable and remotely fun.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on July 11, 2015, 02:07:26 PM
Never really played "Daggerfall". fahdiz and several others loved it.

Ah ok. Yeah I played it quite a bit back in the day. Things sure were tough for Bethesda players before the internet was good enough to get timely patches. Daggerfall was the great example of buggy releases that everybody played anyway because it was such a great game.

QuoteYeah, I find DAO a really piss poor game.

I notice you tend to pronounce games bad when in fact you don't like the genre and they are not bad at all. Or at least I have seen you do that with adventure games in the past. I mean DAO is a pretty classic Bioware game and is pretty much the same game as KOTOR. But even so you know this is a highly regarded game so it should be no surprise to see it highly ranked.

QuoteI know you like DA games, and fair play to you for getting som mileage out of them, Valmy.

Well thanks I also love several of the other games ranked above Skyrim as well :P

That style of game is pretty much my bag baby.

QuoteHell, Mass Effect 2 didn't have a more complex progression system than a Far Cry game.

Mass Effect 2 is a hybrid shooter. And yeah it was pretty streamlined.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2015, 02:36:33 PM
To be frank, "RPG" has become such a vague genre that it's hard to define anymore. What defines an RPG? Stat based progression system? (that's ultimately what a pen-and-paper RPG system is)

It is not so much that one is a RPG and another is not. It is just that I find it hard to believe they were really comparing apples to apples there. Those are pretty different styles of games with entirely different gameplay objectives. I mean take Torment. Gameplaywise it is pretty mediocre. Story wise it is a legend. Can you really compare that to games that are all mechanics and little to not story telling at all?

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2015, 09:38:39 PMCan you really compare that to games that are all mechanics and little to not story telling at all?

Why the hate for rogue likes? :( ;)

RPG, together with strategy, is one of the very wide genres where it's hard to draw a line around, not to mention that it's a genre that lends itself to genre mixes. E.g. FTL - I can see why some what see it as RPG (emergent story, decisions, upgrading your stuff), RPG-ish combat), and others would rather see it as strategy game.

Personally, I find genre descriptions not always useful. There'll usually be an easily identifiable core (Baldur's Gate = RPG, EU4 = Strategy, Secret of Monkey Island = Adventure etc.), but things will become frayed towards the edges. Brutal Legend mixes action RPG stuff with RTS. The Elder Scrolls games, while RPG, contain a big amount of action elements. Mass Effect 2 mixes a rich story, character interaction and player decisions with shooter combat. Mount & Blade has strategy mixed with RPG elements mixed with hack&slash fighting.

It's difficult to pigeonhole some games, and I don't mind them showing up on either list they might fit into.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 11, 2015, 01:34:51 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 11, 2015, 01:22:48 AM
Dark Alliance is missing.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance? Not a PC game. Should have mentioned, RPS is a PC only site.

Ah, explains some things.
Though.... Several of the final fantasys had pc versions.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2015, 09:08:31 PM

I notice you tend to pronounce games bad when in fact you don't like the genre and they are not bad at all. Or at least I have seen you do that with adventure games in the past. I mean DAO is a pretty classic Bioware game and is pretty much the same game as KOTOR. But even so you know this is a highly regarded game so it should be no surprise to see it highly ranked.

That probably is true.
I accept that DAO is a good game for most people. I just don't like it much myself. Maybe because I haven't given it enough time. "Skyrim", however, I plopped so many hours into and still found new stuff to explore. I like the open world, but there are lots of things to be said about the quests in that game. They were sometimes less than excellent. The main quest perhaps being the most obvious.

"Pillars of Eternity" would be brilliant if I weren't so crap at it.  :lol: