News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bosnia: The cradle of modern jihadism?

Started by Syt, July 02, 2015, 08:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 03, 2015, 11:06:08 PM
One of the nice things with a large refugee population from around the world is definitely the food. 

Thanks for the perspective, Mart.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2015, 04:51:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2015, 12:43:10 PM
So that is distinct from our Nazis and dictatorships which have succeeded? :unsure:

My point is that these ideologies exist in the Muslim world, they have simply become discredited.  Islamic fundamentalism is what has taken its place as the preferred radical ideology.

They have not been discredited more there than anywhere else. But your last sentence is obviously ridiculous. Islamic Fundamentalism was a strong and powerful force. who many were warning about, even back when those secular ideologies were in their heyday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Nonsense.  Islamic fundamentalism only really becomes a player in 1979, and then for the Shia.  It's rise coincides with the decline and fall of the Soviet empire.  If you wanted to cause some trouble in the Middle East during the cold war, then your best bet was getting help from the Reds and you had to at least pretend to speak their language.  That's why so many of these Palestinian terrorist groups were Marxist. After the Cold War the funding for those types of groups and many of those government disappeared.  Egypt , Baathist Syria and Iraq, South Yemen, and Libya were all secular and all except South Yemen (which was communist), were Arab Nationalist.  These regimens failed to bring a good living to their people, and almost as importantly failed to destroy Israel.  The money and credibility dried up for these governments in the 1980's and 1990's.

The ideology of Islamic fundamentalism isn't about saving souls, but restoring pride in the Islamic peoples.  They want power and influence, they want people to be afraid of them.  When Soviets were around, they promised the Arabs that Marxism that would bring them power and prosperity.  This didn't work out.  Now people turn to Islamic fundamentalism to bring them power and prosperity.  It won't, of course.  They know the US is powerful, but they don't actually know why.  Americans believe that their freedom makes them powerful and prosperous, and attempt to do the same for Iraq.  What the Arabs saw and enslavement from the American standpoint was empowerment.  The Islamic fundamentalists want power but are ironically rebelling against the very things that can provide it for them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017